Quick Time error when downloading Apple trailers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by umiwangu, Oct 7, 2010.

1. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Quick Time used to work fine, but now when I click on Watch Trailer in Apple Trailers, the link opens ok, but when Quick Time opens, it gives an error that says "A necessary data reference could not be resolved". When I click on Ok, the window closes.

Any ideas what to do? I did recently upgrade my hdd and used Time Machine to restore my data/programs.

Mid-2009 MBP, 10.6.4, QT (v10.0 114).

2. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

No one?

I just upgraded to 10.6.5 and I'm still getting the message.

3. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

10.6.7 and still having the same problem. Does no one else get this? Or maybe no one else downloads the trailers... :)

4. MacTech68, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Curious,

what is the URL you are using?

Does the video open in your browser or does Quicktime Player launch as a separate application to play the video?

Check to make sure that your hard drive's name or user's home folder don't contain "odd" characters, accents etc.

You can't & SHOULD NOT change your user's home directory name, but if your hard drive's name contains unusual characters, try changing the name, reboot and try the trailer again direct from the website.

If your user's home directory name has odd characters, try creating a new user with a simple name like 'temp' (no quotes). This is purely a troubleshooting step. I'm not suggesting using a new user permanently.

Looking around with google, you're not alone, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer that I can find quickly.

EDIT: More information:

Whether you "Watch" or "Download" the trailer, a .qtch (Quicktime Cache) is created in;

/Users/YOUR USERNAME/Library/Caches/QuickTime/downloads/nn/nn/RANDOM NUMBER.qtch

where 'nn' is a two digit number

It seems that initially, a small reference qtch file is downloaded, which I assume points to where the resource is on the internet and where to save the cache of the actual downloaded trailer qtch.

If there is/are any odd characters in the path above, then when Quicktime Player attempts to parse the path to the file, it can't and throws the error you're seeing.

At least, that's how it appears to me.

5. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

I get them from trailers.apple.com.... I mainly download them, because I have a very slow connection here, so I like to save them for a couple weeks if I want to rewatch them.

I just tried again in Firefox to view it in the browser, and there was an error. I tried to download via Firefox and QuickTime won't even open now. But I just tried it in Safari, and it both plays in Safari and in QuickTime! I did get three prompts via Little Snitch, one for Safari, one for the QuickTime plugin, and one for QuickTime, so it's possible Little Snitch was blocking it. I have noticed a couple times that the prompts for Little Snitch are a bit slow in coming up.

I'll try restarting the computer and Firefox to see if FF still doesn't work. Maybe it's an issue with Firefox, although it's done it all the way form 3.1.2 to 3.6.

Thanks for the help!

6. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Running Firefox 3.6.17 here without any problem on trailers.apple.com viewing inside the browser or downloading (albeit 10.4.11 on PPC with Quicktime 7.5.5).

It's possible that dns lookups are slow and LittleSnitch is slow to respond.

Check my previous edit above too.

7. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I checked the cache. No strange characters in the path. Still not working in FF, but in Safari, I get Little Snitch prompts. I'm guessing it in LS slowing things down.

Thanks for the help!