Quick time-lapse questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dukey, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Dukey macrumors member

Hi there,

So I want to get into time lapse more, I did my research and I just have a few basic questions to get me on the right track.

Night Photography
    1.) Aperture: Is it better to be wide open or closed? I know you want to get the max amount of light as possible but I also ask if it should be closed for focus sake.

2.) I know the shutter speed variety from situation to situation but what is an ball park range of where I can start? Is there a general rule of thumb?

3) I've read that not to worry about Iso especially when shooting Raw because you can always reduce noise in post, true? So maybe somewhere around 16-3200+?

Day Light
    4.) as far as day light I've read that it's important to open the shutter for at least a second so you can get motion blur as oppose it it being choppy?

I currently have a canon 7d, 24-70mm and 70-200mm L as well as a intervalometer. Thanks for any tips, appreciate it!

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

1) Depends on how much DOF you want. Also depends on the shutterspeed you want to use and the lighting conditions.
    2) Depends on the lightning conditions, wether you want motion blur, if there is any action to freeze or of then you want to maybe use a single still later on. There is no general answer to this question.
    3) Rule of thumb: Always try to shoot at the lowest iso possible.
    4) Again: It depends on what you are trying to achieve. I recommend you read further up on this and try it out.