Quick Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by edesignuk, Jan 18, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think Time Machine will do this, but just want to be certain. I'm sure if it does work as I hope someone is already doing it, so....

The scenario:
    1 disk as boot volume with Leopard installed - call this disk 1
    1 disk with all user data (having moved the location OS X uses for the Home folder to this) - call this disk 2
    1 disk for Time Machine backups - call this disk 3
    All drives are internal SATA.

Now, I'm not interested in Time Machine keeping backups of the drive Leopard is actually installed on to (disk 1) since it would only be the OS and apps.

What I would want is for Time Machine to monitor and keep backups only of disk 2 to disk 3.

Can it be configured like this? :confused: :eek:

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I think this can be done. However I don't exactly understand what you mean by disk 1 and disk 2, as you originally stated you didn't want Time Machine to back up the disk with only OS and apps.

If you mean that you want Time Machine to keep backups of only disk 2 with your user data on it then yes, *I think (see edit)* this can be done.

When you configure Time Machine, you have the option to select what not to back up. In this case, I would imagine that you would select your entire boot disk (you can do this - I have tried). That way it would only backup disk 2 (which is presumably another internal disk).

David

EDIT: I see in your profile that you have an iMac and MBP, therefore this is unlikely to be an internal drive that has your data on it. Now I am unsure if Time Machine can back up an external drive. Perhaps someone else can chime in with this?

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, sorry, typo on my part and getting confused in my own head :eek: Your assumption is correct. I've fixed my original post.
    OK, well that sounds promising.
    At the moment you're correct, but I'm planning for possible future changes where by all drives would be internal ;)

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I found this thread at Apple Discussions. Apparently it is possible to back-up one external to another which is being used as the Time Machine drive. The only clause is you can't backup more than one drive to the Time Machine backup on any one machine.

In addition, the external drive that you want to back up would have to be formatted as Mac OS Extended or Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Nice.

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

OK, as I say, I'm planning for future changes. Systems in my profile shouldn't be taken in to account...which I probably should have said.

In the scenario my question is asked for, all drives would be internal.

The idea in the end would be to have a nice fast boot drive (Raptor 10k) which wouldn't need backing up. Then a huge but slower data drive that also has a backup.