Quick time machine question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by originalcliche, May 13, 2009.

1. originalcliche macrumors member

Hello

I currently have a 120GB hard drive in my macbook and want to put in a 500GB one. I have a ton of stuff already installed and don't really want to re-install everything from scratch on the new 500Gb one. Question is can I use Time Machine on an external drive that already has stuff on it? Or do I have to use a freshly formatted one for it to work?

Thanks

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

as long as the drive is hfs, you can use one that is already being used

tm creates only a folder on your hdd

3. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Perhaps this is changed, but the last I heard you didn't get a bootable disc out of Time Machine.

IMHO, your best bet would be to get a 2.5" HDD enclosure, put the new HDD in it, and then use Carbon Copy Cloner (or another such utility of your preference) to make a literal copy from one HDD to the other. Then, go ahead and swap drives.

If you don't want to buy an enclosure, you could get a USB adapter like this one. I believe these adapters also support 2.5" SATA notebook HDDs, but you'd want to research that before buying one, obviously.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you dont get a bootable copy

good thing about tm is that if you lose something by accident, you can get it back alot easier than cc

i personally use tm and cc for different purposes

5. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I don't know if it would be quicker than copying everything over to a new disk, but:

If you are replacing the internal drive you can install the OS on to the new drive with OS X install disk and chose "install from back up". This will rebuild your system and filles/apps/preffs just as and where they now, by using the Time-Machine backup sparce-bundle on the external drive.

So your internal main drive will be a replica of the old one, plus however much additional space the drive has.

This seems what you are trying to achieve?

6. originalcliche thread starter macrumors member

Thats exactly what I am trying to do. Thank you guys very much for your answers. :)