Quick Time X replace VLC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kinkster, Aug 25, 2009.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Someone brought this up in the Snow Leopard review thread in here, but I thought it deserved a thread of it's own.

What formats does Quicktime X natively support? How will Perian expand this? And is there a version of Perian that works with Quicktime X?

2. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

this is not an answer to your question...but why exactly are they touting the h.264 accelerating abilities of SL with 9400m when leopard already does this?

another thing related to your original thought...ill be using plex for everything as I already do...no need to worry about formats or codecs!

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Perian obviously expands it. Quicktime's native is .mov(?)

VLC is a tad different and way more expansive then Quicktime, Apple has a long way to go.

4. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

How about just for watching downloaded videos(that naturally come in various different formats.)?

Another question, does quicktime have .srt subtitle support?

5. dmbfan41 macrumors regular

apple has a really long way to go to come even close to vlc. i like the new design but perian does not bring mkv support to qtx

6. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

quicktime x is so much faster than vlc
    while scrolling through a 1080 movie, vlc experiences jerkyness, quicktime is butter smooth and resumes with no lag at all!

this was done on a 2.53ghz 13'" mb

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Overtaking VLC is not going to happen. Apple has other things to worry about, VLC has a core team that has unlimited freedom it seems.

8. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Quicktime X is just as bad as QT 7. It may get better in the future but you still need Perian for most file types (which is fine), it still doesnt support MKV (not fine), and WMV works with flip4mac but it works so badly that its pretty much unusable (much worse than QT 7).

QT X was Apple's chance to finally support codec standards, but it seems like Apple blew it big time.

9. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah why do they only support .mov files? Kind of like making a really nice blender but limiting it to one kind of fruit. Probably something I don't understand behind it though.

I think I'll just set files with the codecs it does support to automatically open in quicktime, and the ones it doesn't to open in VLC.

10. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

I like Quicktime X and use it for all formats that it supports but VLC support way more format and most importantly .WMV

11. NonBorn macrumors newbie

I cannot understand why apple limited h.264 hardware acceleration to 9400... I have a Mac Pro with 8800GT and i cannot play smoothly a 1080p movie even while QTX uses 30% or more of 8 core beast... Plex only uses 1 core or less for the same movie...

I think Apple did a terrible mistake with the limited support of the graphics cards that support h.264 hardware acceleration. QTX has a great interface but thats all it has...

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is like saying Chevrolet only supports Goodyear tires. Next, it seems to get lost that QuickTime is not an application. It is the audio-visual frameworks of MacOS X. QuickTime is infinitely extensible. It will handle the format of any audio-visual content for which there is a compatible codec. With exceptions usually mandated by licensing issues, each QuickTime codec allows any QuickTime-compatible application, be it from Apple or from a third-party, to handle the same content. VLC is pretty good at what it does, but it is not even in the same league as QuickTime.

13. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

That is an oxymoron. It doesnt support "any" video file and doesnt have the ability to, it only supports "compatible" video files, meaning there are incompatible file types like WMV and MKV.

14. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

Until QuickTime has an "always on top" option it's not an option for me. I hate when my video goes behind other windows.