Quick tip for convenient file-vaultless encryption of selected files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mason.kramer, Mar 25, 2008.

1. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Well, I want to use Time Machine, and I want to have some encrypted files. Moreover, I want Time Machine to archive those files, and naturally I want them archived in their encrypted form.

But, after a little checking, FileVault did not look like a good option. First of all, File Vault encrypts far too much stuff. Conceptually, the Home folder should contain ALL of a user's data, and there's no reason to encrypt, for instance, all of my application's preference settings that are contained in ~/Library. I just checked, and I have 21,542 files inside of ~, and only one of them actually needs to be encrypted right now.

Second, FileVault sucks with TimeMachine. It only encrypts your home directory while you are in the process of logging out, and only if you have the TimeMachine volume already mounted (i.e., it doesn't automagically mount a network share like it does on a normal hourly backup).

Finally, you don't get to use the galaxy interface to do per-file archival restores when you want to look at a sparsebundle (which is what FileVault turns your ~/ into). You have to manually browse to the .sparsebundle that TimeMachine creates, open it in finder, browse to the .sparsebundle that FileVault creates, double click it, mount it, and find your file there. Then you have to manually copy it and delete the old copy. It's just a big hassle that defeats the Apple-ness of the whole archive and restore process.

Here is a way to avoid most of these issues , while retaining secure hourly archives of all of your files, including the encrypted ones.

Step 1. Create an encrypted sparsebundle in your ~ directory. Mine is secure.sparsebundle. From the point of view of backing up, a problem with disk images is that they are just one file, and differential backups only skip unchanged data on a per-file basis. Whenever the disk image file changes, TimeMachine has to back up the entire new disk image. But .sparsebundles solve this problem, by chopping the image into smaller stripes, or "bands", of data. When you change a file on an encrypted sparsebundle, only the band or bands which contain the file will change, and Time Machine only needs to back up those bands (I think these bands are by default 8mbs wide with no way to change them).

So, create the image in Disk Utility. Chose a secure password and add it to the keychain.
    [​IMG]

Now, you can double click this file to mount a secure volume in /Volumes/secure. Anything you put in there is encrypted. Because you keychained your password, you will not be asked for it when you mount the disk image. It is very important to remember this password. Files that must be encrypted are naturally also files that are very important to you. Let's make this explicit one more time: if you were to lose your password, you would not be able to open this disk image and your data would be irrevocably GONE FOREVER. No ifs, ands, or buts. No one can help you. And this, after all, is the whole point of encrypting your data: no one can get at it without the password. Because no one can reliably memorize secure passwords anymore, you should chose a secure password, write it down on a slip of paper, and keep that slip of paper in your wallet or a safe. Don't listen to the ones who tell you not to write it down. If you are memorizing your password, that means you chose an insecure password.

Step 2. Automatically mount your secure volume on login. My encrypted file is a plaintext list of all my credentials for websites, etc. Every time I register a new account, or need to login to an infrequently used website, I need to grep the list. I don't want to have to manually mount the volume whenver this happens. I automatically mount mine on login by adding the .sparsebundle file to my login items in Accounts Preference Pane.

Step 3. There is no step 3. Time Machine skips everything in /Volumes/ by default, so it won't backup the plaintext of your encrypted disk image. Meanwhile, it will backup the sparsebundle in ~, even if that volume is mounted.

2. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Long winded

If all you're wanting is an encrypted note of your registration details you should just use keychain.

Your oh so securely encrypted file is in fact available to any rogue application that deems to read it and if you wandered off and Mr Snoop decided to have a look at your open files, mounted DMG's etc.

Keychain can demand a password each time to show the secure note, or relock after a timeout period. It's secure on disk and it's secure in memory.

All you've come up with is an ugly hack which reinvents the wheel.

M.

3. mason.kramer thread starter macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Ouch. But, my hack works for more than a note. It works for any arbitrary number of files that you might want to be encrypted, without encrypting crap like application support.

And you can't fault me for the security habits of others. Everyone who cares about secure files should know to restrict physical access to their console without my mentioning it. If someone sits down at your logged in computer while you aren't there, it's game over either way. Edit: I just checked, and, on my computer, keychain defaulted to requiring the keychain password when apps access the disk image, and whitelisted the system utility that mounts the image. So other apps will still have to get the keychain password to open the secure volume. Anyway, if you have a trojan on your machine, no amount of encryption is going to prevent data theft. They'll simply keylog your password next time you go to access the file.

But, thanks for your kindness and humor, this is why I love the internet! :D

4. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

The trouble is that you are offering up advice on computer security which is a complicated area to cover.

If you are securing passwords use the correct tool for the job (keychain), as what you've suggested is at risk of a trojan or someone hacked in whilst your encrypted dmg is mounted. If someone uses your advice and gets burned, well, you didn't even bother to stick a disclaimer on your Tip.

As to your point about it encrypting other types of files that will be backed up by time machine. Fair enough.

BTW, when it comes to security i have no sense of humour.

M.

5. mason.kramer thread starter macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Like I said, if you have a trojan, your way doesn't prevent data theft either.

My solution is not just for a single text file. It is offered to anyone who has a use for encryption. Your solution may be better for the specific usage that I have, but I posted this as a complete alternative to FileVault, which mine is, while yours is not. It is exactly as secure as FileVault, in the sense that the FileVault volume is open in plain text whenever the user is logged in. Apple believes, as they should, that the proper barrier to access of sensitive data is at the login layer.

It's too late, once someone is logged in as you, or runs code as you, to talk about security. It's already over; you are pwned. Your way does not protect against this. My way does not protect against this. Apple's way does not protect against this. There is no security drop when you switch from FileVault to my way. There is no security gain when switching to your way, even for a simple password file.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is a great tip, and one that I share with other Mac users. If I were you I'd consider getting a Mac Guides entry made with this information, and adding a link to it in the appropriate forum header.

If you don't know how to do this, I will be glad to help. :)

7. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Incorrect, Apple's way does protect you, if someone or something is on your machine with your access privs. Keychain demands that they authenticate again before allowing them to access your secure note, and as a nice aside will inform the user via pop up that the process is trying to access that information from the keychain. Security is all about adding layers for others to get through. Keychain does this, encrypting your passwords this way does not.

My day job involves risk analysis of financial systems and this is my bread and butter.

M.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is true, but there's a way around that problem too - don't save the password in your keychain, and/or keep your keychain locked when you're not using it. I do both for stuff I want encrypted.

9. mason.kramer thread starter macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

1. Being an actuary does not make you a computer security expert. You clearly are not one.

2. Tell me how my way is less secure than FileVault in this situation.

Since you can't, you will have to talk instead about how both my way, and FileVault, are equally insecure, because they provide all sensitive information as plaintext to anyone who can log in as you. If they have your privileges but not your password, my way protects just like FileVault does: keychain will still prompt the application that the attacker is running as you for a password to open the image, and they will be thwarted (the only application that does not prompt for a password is the system utility that opens the disc image, which is whitelisted by the same operation that keychains the file when you create an AES image with Disk Utility). None of this is relevant, however, because once they have your privileges but not your password they can keylog you and escalate to a password.

Once they have your login password, you're just equally screwed in all three scenarios. They log in as you and are immediately presented with a plain text of all files with both the FileVault and Mason hacks. For your way, they'll access a secure note, which presumably will be also tied to the login password (else why store it in the keychain?).

I will reiterate, that once someone has your privileges, the game is over. The deed is done. The fat lady has sung. The cat is out of the bag. Pandora has opened the box. Eve has eaten the apple. Slap me in a dress and call me Shirley, because your data is already compromised.

10. mason.kramer thread starter macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Thanks wzrd. I'm really surprised that this technique doesn't come in Googling. I don't know how to make a guide, if you link me up, I'll check it out.

11. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Fine, Shirley.
    Never claimed to be an expert, only a true idiot claims that, just implied i had experience in the field. The fact that you've taken to attacking me personally and not the ideas we've be both been expressing, show's that you in fact are talking out o your a$$.

Even if you own (chuckle) a users account, you cannot access all the contents of that users keychain unless you as the process trying to access it is on the trusted ACL. For a secure note, by default, no application, not even the keychain tool will show you the contents without further authentication.

So if you know the password that will unlock the keychain, then yes you can get the data. But as a hacker/trojan you do not, because there are infinitely easier ways of getting onto the machine with your privs rather than a brute force attack, you have another layer to break through.

Now if the user is smarter than average, they will also have isolated their secure notes to a seperate keychain unlocked with a seperate password to the one they use to logon with. Not necessary, but useful for those with a healthy paranoia. I'm not saying it's not possible to get round these measures, i'm sure you'd agree that with enough time and motivation, the keychain can be decrypted. My point is that you're an idiot for leaving passwords in a plaintext file, no matter if it is in encrypted dmg when you log out.

You're living in the 1990's, security has moved on a bit, do catch up.

M.