Quick Unlocked Iphone 4 Question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JackSpearo, May 21, 2011.

1. JackSpearo macrumors regular

I'm seeing unlocked brand new iphone 4s on ebay... shipping from Maryland...

how is this possible?

I bought a white iphone 4 (was planning to break my contract with AT&T and move to europe and use it there) and I read on the forum last night that I couldn't do this... Now I'm heartbroken and confused... Help please? (I'm moving to Spain, is it possible to buy an unlocked phone there?)

thanks

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

You can buy unlocked iPhones in Europe direct from Apple.

3. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

you know, I just called my apple store and they said the return policy is 14 days... I thought it was 30... FML... FML... FML

is there any way I can use this phone in europe? dang this is depressing

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

iPhone return policy is 30 days, everything else is 14 days. Next time try search.

5. bbmiLo macrumors regular

If you break your contract with AT&T, they charge you $350, plus the $200 you paid for the phone, you are better off buying a factory unlocked phone outside of USA.

Anyhow, right now your options are:

1) Sell the phone. Buy a factory unlocked one.
    2) Unlock the phone with Gevey SIM, you can use it in Europe and anywhere with GSM carrier. At the same time, hope maybe Dev team will eventually come out with a software unlock.

6. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Why wouldn't it be possible? The seller might have bought it unlocked in Europe and is now seliing it in the US. Or they bought more than 1 phone and is now turning a substantial profit by selling more of them.

You should check if it's factory unlocked or software/Gevey SIM unlocked because there's a big difference.

I hate to be the one to say it but you should've done your research before buying something that you knew nothing about.

If the phone is factory unlocked then you can use it anywhere in the world where they have a GSM network (which is 99.9% of the world)

And yes, an unlocked phone can be bought in Spain but it'll cost more than 500-600 euros (tax included)

7. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

I just called apple and they said iphone was 14 days... AT&T is 30 days... I have no idea why I purchased this from Apple... I royally messed up, I should have bought it from AT&T... I would have had 30 days and I wouldn't be in this spot

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You can also buy them in Canada. :D

But yeah OP, basically you should sell the phone and buy a factory unlocked one when you move to Europe, or you can unlock with Gevey SIM and use that. Otherwise your iPhone becomes a glorified iPod Touch.

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Unsure why you're getting that response, this is directly from Apple plus returned a phone myself within 30 days:

iPhone Return Policy

If you are not fully satisfied with your iPhone purchase, you can return your undamaged iPhone to the Apple Online Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund. Please visit online Order Status or call 1-800-676-2775 to request a return. The iPhone must be returned in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, and documentation.

10. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

Jenzjen, I wish you were right, but AT&T is 30, Apple store is 14... Completely sucks...

Maybe the gevey will work for me, or I can sell it on ebay and get the iphone 5 in unlocked when it comes out...

11. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Captain Jack, this is my last attempt at giving you the benefit of the doubt, as you've just been misinformed UNLESS you're just trolling here.

The text I posted is Apple's return policy for the iPhone, it clearly states 30 days and is here ... http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#iphonereturns

I also just popped into the Apple store on 5th Avenue in NY and received the same answer, so the ball is in your court.

Feel free to record your phone conversation when you call your Apple store again, as I'd like to hear them only give you 14 days. I'll wait.

12. yycguy macrumors newbie

Just FYI. I bought my iPhone 4 here in Canada at the apple store. Hated paying the price for it but I am down in the US quite a bit. I bought a T-Mobile pay and go card and could not be happier.

Point being, if you really want an unlocked phone and have the cash get one from Canada the cheapest way you can.

13. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

In the USA, 30 days is the Apple Store return policy for iPhones.

In Canada, 14 days is the Apple Store return policy for iPhones.

Go figure.

14. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I don't like the idea that you have to call 911 to get a gevey sim to work.

15. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

I call the macstore in Charleston and they must be lying to me ... they tell me 14 days... I dunno what is going on... I'm gonna call again tomorrow...

16. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you called and asked them what's your return policy, most will just answer 14 days as that's the policy for everything except the iPhone. I'm guessing simple miscommunication as they didn't know you were asking about iPhone returns.

17. ann713 macrumors 6502a

You're supposed to cancel within 2 seconds, the call never connects.

18. JackSpearo, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011

JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

I called a few more stores tonight and they definitely said 30 days!

I then checked my receipt that they emailed to me (had forgotten about it)

and it definitely says 30 days...

I'm taking that sucker back!

thanks to all who have helped me!

I wasn't trolling at all!!!

edit made on May 28 just in case someone is using the search engine and finds this old thread:

Just wanted to say that apple took back the iphone 4s (both the replacement and the original one with the faulty proximity sensor) after 28 days! (they did honestly act funny about it, but I told them, 30 days is 30 days) and they even took back the bumper! (it was white and I don't think I'd recommend the white one, even though I love the white look, it honestly gets dirty and smudgey) So overall, I'm very happy. And thanks again to jenzjen for telling me it was 30 days and not 14!