Quick upgrade question (MBP 15" Early 2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alastair2, Sep 9, 2015.

1. alastair2 macrumors newbie

I've been searching around threads and some advice seems to be conflicting so I'm just making my own to clear things up.

Firstly

Looking to do away with my HDD and replace it with a SSD. I still need the CD drive so it'll be a straight swap.

Are there any that are particularly good to put in? I want a 512gb (1tb would be ideal). Currently looking at a Crucial MX100, I'm guessing this is compatible?

Also been reading about buffers? Am I going to need them? Or which hard drives will I need/not need them for?

Secondly

I want to upgrade the RAM to 16gb, threads in some places have specified that some aren't compatible with this model, I have no idea what I'm looking for here to any advice will be thoroughly appreciated.

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Firstly
    I recommend the Crucial MX200 over the MX100. The MX200 is the newer technology and are currently less expensive. On US Amazon a 500 Gb MX200 is $174.99 and the 500 Gb MX100 is $229.99. The MX200 is available in 1 Tb size also. I'm not sure what you mean by buffer, but if buffer=spacer then the answer is yes both come with a spacer so the 7 mm thick drive can be installed in a 9 mm space. I needed the spacer for my 15" MBP Late 2011.

Secondly
    I installed 16 Gb of Crucial RAM in my 15" MBP Late 2011 with no problems. Just get RAM with the right specification for your MBP. Crucial has a RAM selector tool on their web site.