Quick video card question for new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nykee23, Feb 14, 2008.

1. nykee23 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of pricing out a new Mac Pro and I have a quick question on video cards. I won't be doing any gaming, but will start doing beginning video editing work in Imovie, then as I get better will probably going to go through with the Final Cut Studio suite. Will be working in HD, probably getting in 24P work

Since I want to keep this machine for a long time, I wanted your input what video card would be sufficient for my needs. The base ATI Radeon 2600 or upgrade to the 8800 GT Nvidia as all you guys are starting to do. Will the extra on board 256MB ram make any difference? Will be running a single display.

I appreciate all of your feedback.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The graphics card has very little to do with video work, until you get into things that are GPU-accelerated (Color, Motion). If you plan to be doing a lot of work in either of those apps, the 8800GT might be a better bet. If you're doing more straight editing or motion graphics/compositing work in non-hardware accelerated apps (After Effects, Shake and the like), then it will make much less difference.

3. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

If you're going to be using Final Cut Studio (especially Color) or Motion or Aperature, go for the Geforce 8800GT. As well, if you're goingto keep the machine for a long time, you may be better buying the Geforce 8800GT which will outlast the Radeon 2600.

4. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

if you don't mind the wait just go for the 8800GT, the price difference isn't massive and you will appreciate it when you use Motion, or any other piece of software that requires the GPU... the 8800GT will last you longer, as well as give a better resale value.

or if your impatient like me, just get the 2600XT, put a backorder on the 8800GT seperately, and just see how you go with the 2600XT... and either cancel your 8800GT or get it then ebay your 2600XT, or simply keep it as a backup card, or to potentially drive more displays.