quick way to confirm watch is not cloud locked?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bigjnyc, Sep 25, 2017.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Hi - When meeting up with someone to buy a used Apple watch 2, is there a quick way to find out if its not locked to someones icloud account without going through the whole set up? Also what is the quickest visual way to confirm its a series 2?

2. andrewface macrumors 6502

andrewface

Here is my understanding which I confirmed with my own series 2 purchase this weekend - if it's unpaired it should be at the setup screen - for example it will say choose language and pair watch. If the watch is still paired to someones phone and apple ID then you will be able to access all the features like the watch itself and all the apps. Hope that helps.

For your second question that part is easy just look at the back of the watch. It has the watch spec around the heart rate sensor.

3. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Great thanks for the info, so similar to the iPhone then, if its restored to the set up screen it should be ok... I thought with the watch you could still get the error message that it was on someone else's icloud account after going through the set up...... and simple enough on the series 2 thing duh! lol

4. profets macrumors 601

Not sure if it'll work for you, but I noticed on my iPhone when going to settings -> iCloud and scrolling down to see devices, my older Apple Watch was there. When I tapped on it, it showed details including Find My Watch, OS Version, and Serial Number. Seeing Find My Watch turned off is key to iCloud activation lock being off.