Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK
After enabling iCloud Library beta i find there are over 7000 photos in my iPhoto library, all of which are also in my Aperture library. Because one of my iDevices is only 32 Gb I want to cut this down drastically.

But it seems I have to open each photo and click the delete button, or is there a quicker way?

Thanks

EDIT Title is meant to be "....iCloud Photo Library"

Last edited:

gtstricky

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2012
Easiest way I found was to do it in iPhoto. Open your icloud folder, select all, delete.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Easiest way I found was to do it in iPhoto. Open your icloud folder, select all, delete.

Surely that wouldn't delete them from the iPL? I use Aperture, but I expect iPhoto is the same, and I don't want to delete them from Aperture only iPL.

Anyway I have discovered that iCloud beta allows multiple selection and deletion

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK
APOLOGIES:( !

The thread title and subject of my question was meant to be about deleting large numbers of photos from my iCloud Photo Library, not my iPhoto Library.

As I said I can do it in iCloud.com beta.

There doesn't seem to be a way to do it on an iPhone, only one by one.

gtstricky

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2012
My bad... I was talking about photo stream. However it might be the same where there is no way to mass delete on an iOS you need to do it from web or iPhoto.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Quickest way to delete lots of photos is to Connect your phone to your Mac and use Image Capture to select and delete photos from your phone.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Quickest way to delete lots of photos is to Connect your phone to your Mac and use Image Capture to select and delete photos from your phone.

That sounded like a good idea, but it doesn't actually work for the photos in the iCloud Photo Library. Image Capture just shows a cloud icon and does not show the photos.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Photos tab in photos app

Select a moment. Edit? Delete moment. Something along these lines. I just did it on iCloud.com and it worked great.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Photos tab in photos app

Select a moment. Edit? Delete moment. Something along these lines. I just did it on iCloud.com and it worked great.

Yes, as I said earlier, I found I can do it in iCloud.com, no problem. But on the phone itself it seems to be one by one.

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Yes, as I said earlier, I found I can do it in iCloud.com, no problem. But on the phone itself it seems to be one by one.

In the Moments section, hit Select on the top right. Once you do that, you'll see the word "select" to the right of each moment. Tapping that will select all the pictures within that moment, which you can then delete.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
In the Moments section, hit Select on the top right. Once you do that, you'll see the word "select" to the right of each moment. Tapping that will select all the pictures within that moment, which you can then delete.

That's what I was trying to say but had already deleted everything:)

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK

Thanks JPM42! .....definitely a step in the right direction.

But as far as I can see the select option only appears at a lower level in the Moments section, so I can select all the photos in a "moment". At the "years" level there is not select button.

At the moment I am looking to cull out a few years but it will be useful in future to do it a at a lower level.

----------

After enabling iCloud Library beta i find there are over 7000 photos in my iPhoto library, all of which are also in my Aperture library. Because one of my iDevices is only 32 Gb I want to cut this down drastically.

EDIT Title is meant to be "....iCloud Photo Library"

I realise now with a bit more understanding I don't actually need to do this just because one of my devices is only 32 Gb.....the photos are optimised for that device and fit on OK.

----------

That's what I was trying to say but had already deleted everything:)

Sorry I thought you said you did it on iCloud.com :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.