Quick wifi speed question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Advil, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Advil macrumors 6502a

I've been hearing about the "wifi issues" with ipad and from my searches it seems like it's just dropping the signal. I'm not experiencing this too often but my question is, is the wifi speed limited? I kind of doubt it since it supports Wireless N but I'm not getting more than 7 mbits on my ~30 mbit connection.

My MacBook pro gets 20 ish on wireless and 30 with Ethernet. It's just a really crappy cable modem/wireless G router hybrid by uber provided by Charter.

I know I won't be doing lots of downloading on my ipad but I'd like to speed things up a bit since I'm paying for a fast connection.

Thanks and excuse me if this issue has been addressed. I searched s
    with no luck

2. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

I get 20mbs download speeds from my wireless n router on my iPad. I get the same on my G router. That's in the same room as the router. If i go behind 2 doors a 1 wall in the bathroom get about 12-14 Mbs.

Also keep in mind. Going with a N router you won't see much of a difference. I had a g router and got the same speeds. The N routers are good for file transfers and streaming media from your pc or mac not the internet dont get that confused. they do not benefit at all for Internet speeds. If your Internet cap is 30-20mbs then a g ruter Is perfectly fine you won't see no different with a n.

In all honesty i might be returning my 125.00 n router this week and go back to my 30.00 g router because really there isn't much of a benefit.

I bought into this wireless N hype and really, there is no hype!