Quick Word alternative to speed up workflow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GFLPraxis, Oct 29, 2007.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Man, Leopard has greatly increased my workflow speed; I click a download link, click my Downloads stack, and click the Word document. No more expose to find a file in the clutter on my desktop!

Except now the weak point in my chain is Word. It runs under Rosetta and is horribly slow to launch. I try to avoid launching it whenever I can in favor of Quick Look, but sometimes I just have to edit something (and you can't Quick Look in a Stack, bah).

I'll keep Word installed, but I'd like to find something that loads quick and renders Word docs correctly (can't rely on TextEdit) and that I can make my default to open Word documents in.

Last time I used OpenOffice it had to run under X11 and looked horribly inconsistent from a GUI perspective compared to OS X. Last time I ran NeoOffice it ran horribly slow due to running under Java.

Is this still true, and if so, is there any alternative anyone can suggest?

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

3. tngisaga macrumors member

The latest version 2.2.2 of NeoOffice has been running smooth for me. You might want to try that again to see if you notice it as well. As mentioned here, Pages also works well with Word documents.