quick word of warning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by P90Xfit, Feb 12, 2009.

1. P90Xfit macrumors regular

I was sitting with my new macbook pro on my lap. I sometimes sit with my legs crossed (man style) and I put my foot up, and the rubber part of my shoe just ever so slightly rubs my MBP lid and now it has a mark across it. :(

Needless to say I ordered a Zagg full body guard. Just putting it out there, MBP is EASLY scuffed with rubber. No the mark wont come out.

2. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

3. P90Xfit thread starter macrumors regular

yup, I did that, I wanna rub it hard thinking it will rub it away but in the end I might just make it worse. It's small and I hope the full body protection will hide it will, since the light really brings it out. i just wanted to warn some people to let them know it is VERY easy to scuff you MBP.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Have you tried Mr. Clean Eraser? What about iKlear? I've used both for a number of years on all my Macs and iPhones...:cool:

5. P90Xfit thread starter macrumors regular

would these really work? I mean is the paint not the problem? I though I scuffed the paint. I'll try to get the Mr. Clean Eraser. Where could I find it?
    Walgreens?

6. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

It is not paint - it is anodized aluminum - very hard and scratch resistant.

7. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

Oh Good God don't!!!

Don't use magic eraser! It will scratch the heck out of your laptop! Yes, the Macbook pro's aluminum does scratch. This just happened to me (the rub mark) and it is removable with a soft cloth slightly moistened and rubbing it until it warms from the friction and it will come right off. Good luck!

8. P90Xfit thread starter macrumors regular

Ah! so there is hope! I love you guys and if I could I would give all a hug in the most none gay way a man can hug another man! :D

Ok so no for the Mr. Clean Eraser? Just rub it until it gets warm, then what? Should I use water, soap? I have rubbed it a little with a damp cloth, but not to hard, and not for long in fear I might just make thins worse! lol I dont want to make this a bigger scuff. I'm sure you guys understand, I mean I just got this thing!

OK Well, I just rubbed the hell out of it. with a damp cloth, nope nothing. Still there. So, Mr. Clean Eraser?

9. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

just rub it

and keep rubbing it until you start seeing the scuff disappear. If you stop rubbing before that your not going to get anywhere. As long as your using a wet cloth (lens cloth preferably) it will be o.k. Just don't go completely mad rubbing it down to nothing. Can you supply a picture? That would help.

10. P90Xfit thread starter macrumors regular

11. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Use a Magic Eraser, it will come off, believe me.

12. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

it is anodized aluminum. Scratch resistant? not so much sadly.

13. P90Xfit thread starter macrumors regular

OK I believe you, please don't hurt me :p

On my way to go buy Mr. clean I hope they have it at walgreens or walmart.

On top of that, I hope it works, dam shame if you ask me, I just got my new baby today. Thanks for ALL your help guys. I'll report back. Rubbing until I was out of breath, did not work by the way. I wish it had! lol

14. P90Xfit thread starter macrumors regular

nope, MR. clean has failed. boys I think this one is not going no where. it's not dirt it's like now apart of the laptop. Live and learn, I bought an invizi shield or what ever so, I'll slap that sucker on it as soon as I get it.

I soaked the mr.clean sponge and scrubbed it for a good long while, and nothing came of it.

15. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Take a Q Tip well moistened with a solvent (thinner, turpentine, lighter fluid) and gently dissolve the mark.

BE CAREFUL to NOT get any on your screen or any other part that is not anodized aluminum.

16. P90Xfit thread starter macrumors regular

uh.....this is my new baby, not sure about using that kinda stuff..... any one ells? would it hurt my notebook using this stuff?

17. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

The solvents I mentioned will not damage anodized aluminum - the constant rubbing may simply burnish the material into the surface.

18. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

I'm afraid...

that something else (more abrasive) on your shoe (not the rubber) did this. If it was rubber that scuffed, it would be off already. Sorry it didn't work.

19. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

Well we went from rubbing with a gentle cloth to turpentine...what's next a blow torch? I hope the solvent method works (I would be NERVOUS). :eek:

20. P90Xfit thread starter macrumors regular

Like I said, it looked like it rubbed the "paint" well that's what I thought, thats what it looked like. It did not look like rubber came off my shoe, but rather the "paint" or metal, came off.

21. P90Xfit thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'll live with it before I make things worse! lol

22. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Good choice.

23. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

It is possible that you shoe had something on it that abraded the anodized finish. However, the solvents will NOT HURT ANYTHING - the case is aluminum and is not "painted".

24. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

One last thing to try that won't hurt the finish even if it doesn't work. Take a clean soft absorbent cotton towel or a micro polishing cloth. Make sure there is no dirt or residue on the cloth. Put a dab of baby oil, (or any light oil like you would use to lube the blades of an electric razor) onto the cloth. In a pinch, vegetable oil might work too. Rub the stain in a circular fashion until it is lifted. Be careful to have just a thin coat of oil and not get it anywhere but on the stain. After the stain is gone, you can remove the oil residue with a solution of water mixed with a bit of isopropyl alcohol, or monitor cleaning wipes.

I have used this method to remove a lot of tough stains. It works by penetrating the substance so that it can no longer stick to the surface it's bonded to.

If this doesn't work, I think you have scratched the surface and the stain is embedded in the substrate.

25. P90Xfit thread starter macrumors regular

I think this is the case. My shoes are new, and the only thing was black rubber nothing more. The "stain" is lighter color then the lid, so I think it's the lid.