Quick Wrapsol Review on 15.4 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by furious, Aug 13, 2010.

1. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Wrapsol Review

Good
    *Material is thick and has a nice non-slip finish. (To describe the feel of the film I would say it feels like the bare aluminium with a slight textured finish.)
    *The spray applicators supplied are glass. (I do not know why this impressed me.)
    *Two bottles of the spray application liquid supplied. (I still have 3/4 of a bottle left.)
    *The instructions are easy to follow
    *Lint free micro fiber cloth is soft and thick
    *All of the holes lined up with the corresponding screw or rubber foot.
    *The price is reasonable considering what you get in the package.
    -2 spray bottle
    -micro fiber cloth
    -squeegee
    -specific instructions for the set you purchase and general application instructions.
    -bottom, wrist, track pad and back corner pieces of the film.
    *The pieces were packaged well and did not come creased or folded. (I purchased a no name ebay film protection that came creased and folded)

Bad
    *Film piece not cut as well as I hoped around the edge of the top piece, I had what looks like tears on the edges before what I made the bottom left corner.
    *The squeegee is a black piece of rubber, which marks the film during the application process. (The marks do rub off)
    *They supply pieces for the back corners but not the front and side edges. To me this is bizarre.

7/10. What let it down was the torn edge on the top piece. I was able to put that edge at the back so it is not noticeable. When opening the package I was surprised to see the torn edge. With so much competition in the protection film market a company needs to be on their game 100% of the time.

I don't have picture but depending on the response I may up load some.

I have one question. Has anyone applied the track pad piece and liked the feel? I have not applied the track pad piece yet because I am questioning if I would like the feel of the track pad with a film cover. I am also concerned it would reduce the tactile feel of the track pad.

2. TobiasKM macrumors newbie

This one I don't get, I must admit. I see why you put this stuff on an iPhone, I've done that to mine.. But this thing aluminium, how big of a problem is scratching really?

Not something I'd spent money on, but that's totally up to you :)

3. ceshimm macrumors member

well, not too bad. if there are serious design or material issue, we should already know from those anti apple union.

4. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

I had my old MBP get scratched by leftover dried, hard bread sitting on the dining room table...

I also have pets, my cat walked on my MBP a couple times (really sharp nails). With wrapsol i just ignore it now.

5. furious thread starter macrumors 65816

furious

If you only every use your notebook on a desk I agree.

My usage tends to include outdoors use. My parents have a business that requires going out into some harsh environments where chemicals could be spilt on the notebook. I wanted to stop the aluminium being stained again. I have a stain on the right hand side of the palm rest the size of my thumb from a chemical stain. ;)

6. atrac7 macrumors regular

I personally just took the pieces meant for the back corners and just put 'em in the front. Figured I'd take the chances with scratching the back more since I'd never look at it anyways.

7. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

I didn't use the piece for the trackpad itself. What's the point? Glass trackpad is hard and scratchproof already, and I really like the slick feel. Didn't want to mess with that at all.

Otherwise, I've had the Wrapsol on my 15" MBP since April, still loving it. No lifting of corners or yellowing at all.

Joe

8. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I skipped the trackpad piece as well. I'm not worried about it scratching or fading, obviously, so I saw no need.

That stinks about your torn edge - I'm sure Wrapsol would fix that if you contacted them.

I've had mine installed for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love it. I really took my time and tried for a perfect install, and got as close to it as I ever have. It doesn't compromise the look of my MBP, but gives me some peace of mind about where I set it down, etc. Well worth the $30 I spent.

9. furious thread starter macrumors 65816

furious

I know they would fix it. It is just disappointing that is came like that. They should have some sort of quality control that would pick up mistakes like that.

I am loving the texture of the film. It is grippy without making it difficult to type on.