Quick yay or nay needed - Is it ok to send a MacBook off for repair sub hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spanky Deluxe, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I've got a MacBook that's in need of a new logic board and is covered under Applecare. I'd rather not leave the hard drive in for various reasons and so have taken it out. Is this ok? I understand that its a user serviceable part. I'll be taking it to an Apple Authorised Service Provider.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Question: how'd the logic board go bad? I'm getting an MB, and it would be nice to know what to look out for.

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I have no idea. Don't worry too much though, I know countless people (not just on here) that have MacBooks and no one else I know has had a problem. My whole department uses them and I've never heard of a single issue. :)

4. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I'd say that because the HDD is a user-serviceable part taking it out before sending in your machine is perfectly acceptable.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I would think that you would have to put another HDD back into the MB. Also, you would need to load OS X onto it.

Otherwise, it may make it more difficult for them to diagnose the problem ... unless the logic board issue is so obvious.

ft

6. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Well, it doesn't turn on. At all. It does the same with or without a hard drive in it.

The truth is, as crazy as it sounds, the MacBook died over the Summer. I took the hard drive out to back everything up and left it on the windowsill (not in the Sun). Three months or so later I still haven't got round to bringing it into a service centre (I've been using an iBook instead and just haven't had the time recently). I've finally decided to get off my ass and take it in, only to find that the hard drive has a dent in it (which wasn't there before). I think someone must have knocked it off the ledge and not told me about it. :mad:
    I've got another hard drive I could put in but its not the same size.

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

What do you mean by not the same size like capacity or Physical size.

8. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Um dont fear the pRon man... as long as its the legal type.

9. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Capacity. Its from another MacBook and is 60GB instead of 80GB.

Hahaha!

I took it in without a drive and it wasn't a problem. :)