Quick Yes/No question: will SSD work Okay on 2006 Mac Pro's Standard SATA bus?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by slughead, Aug 18, 2010.

1. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Will they plug in? will they run slower? how much slower (about)?

I realize they need an adapter (possibly by maxupgrades [maxripoff]) to fit it in the drive sled, but other than that, what's the verdict?

Uninteresting back story:
    My silly friend (who is also rich) wants to dump money into a new 12 core (he has a first-rev mac pro), and I'm going line-by-line trying to convince him to save his money. I'm almost positive SSD works okay in his MP (it may need an adapter), but not for sure.

Obviously he can just get a cheap SATAII controller card.

He does amateur work in MAYA and other rendering stuff but he really, really doesn't need to upgrade.

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yes. It will be okay without any slowdowns. The Mac Pro 1,1 has SATA II support.

If he's rich and doesn't mind dumping money on a new 12 core then why not let him do it? Rendering stuff is the perfect candidate for a multi core speed up. He'd probably see a significant reductions in rendering times going from a quad Mac Pro to a new model with twenty four virtual cores.

Maybe he'll even sell you his old Mac Pro for cheap too! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

getting stuff like ssd cant be considered "dumping money" when you can use them in any future computer

4. thirdkind macrumors member

I'm using the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro (120GB) in my Mac Pro 1,1 and it's made a world of difference in my system's performance. No issues whatsoever, and it's convinced me to hold off for a while on an upgrade.

5. chych macrumors member

Intel X25m in a Mac Pro 1,1 - no problems! I get the full rated speed of the SSD.

6. trankdart macrumors member

I moved my home directory and applications to a Patriot Torqx M28 256GB SSD in my Mac Pro 1,1. I did have a couple of problems, but they all derived from dumbass assumptions hard-coded into third party applications about the location of your home directory. All easy to fix. No problems at the hardware level.

There are no electro/mechanical problems with putting an SSD into a 1,1.

7. seek3r macrumors 6502

Quick yes/no: yes :p

quick FYI, if you mount the new home directory on the SSD using fstab at /Users (or, if just your home directory, /Users/$YOUR_NAME) you won't run into the hardcoding problems because the system will see it where it's supposed to be.

8. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Let him get the 12-core. Why upgrade a system step by step, when he's got the money to upgrade everything in one shot. Especially when he's got a 2006 machine - that's 4 years old. Heck, I probably have the same machine as him, except I bought it a year later. I've been eyeing the single 3.33 6-core, but I think I'll wait another upgrade.

9. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

No,dont let him upgrade.

Why the heck,if he is a hobbyist, he dont need to upgrade. He will get his stuff done anyway. Why on earth support a destructive,consumeristic behiavour just to support his E-peen? Really?

And?

It still works. He gets his stuff done.

Make him donate the 5000$+ to some charity,like peeps in pakistan who are suffering from the worst floods in recorded history,amnesty international so they can fight for human rights or some local Save The Kitten community. That is money much more well spent.
    Updating stuff,wasting natural resources AND upping Stevos bank account, just because he is "rich" is asine.

Stop it.

10. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Cause this is exactly the way how the economy works!

11. OptimusP83 macrumors newbie

Really? Jeeze havent seen that argument in a while. I mean why doesn't he just buy himself a tesla and help get us off foreign oil? Dude, this is about computers, not helping to save the world one child at a time. Give us all a break will you?

12. SmilesLots macrumors regular

SmilesLots

I did almost the same - two Intel 80 GB off the spare mobo sata in Raid 0, and it is fast. Love it.