Quickbooks alternative

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gianthobbit, Jun 23, 2011.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

*Sorry if this is a duplicate, I did not see anything out there for QuickBooks (not Quicken)*

First, I hate QuickBooks, its at a upward UI and I only use about 10% of what is there (maybe less). In the past I have used web based accounting software, LessAccounting. It was ok but it was an ongoing fee and native apps just work better for this I feel.

What I use Quickbooks for:
    • Tracking paid/unpaid invoices
    • Occainsally send out invoices
    • Track outgoing expenses
    • Tracking incoming income

My accountant essential just needs a number from one of the many reports spits out. To top it off it looks like I can't get certain things to work (printing summary) on Lion. This is not good...

Thanks for the feedback!

2. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Can someone PLEASE offer some advice or alternatives. Banging my head on the wall about QuickBooks. I want to use Freshbooks or something to make invoicing similar and I just need to monitor one checking account and document what account the money comes in and out to.

Pretty basic QB user really.

3. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

The best thing you could do is go to the app store, see what is available and then go to the developer's website and download a free trial.

I've tried pretty much all of them but for my needs, nothing was as good as QB in Windows. Your needs seem pretty simple and I am sure any of them would satisfy them.

4. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

I am going to use FreshBooks to invoicing and managing my simple expenses.

5. BostonBrawler macrumors member

Have you looked at Quickbooks Online? For the tasks you mention, that might be the route to go. I have started using that, and if you are not running your own payroll, there should be no issue.

You can import and export desktop files seamlessly. Assuming your accountant uses QB, that comes in handy as you can make desktop version accountant copies as well.

Not to mention, they have an app for iphone/ipad as well.

6. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the recommendation. I have a serious issue with keeping up on invoicing and FreshBooks seems like the best solution with that. Accounting is definitely an after thought however. I have very limited needs however for this so will give that a shot.

I heard good things about the online version.