Quickbooks and Microsoft Office: Mac vs. Windows versions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Surely, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

As my thread title suggests, I am looking for some advice on the differences between Quickbooks and Microsoft Office for Mac and Windows.

Regarding Office, I am under the impression that the Mac version isn't as full-featured as the Windows version.

If I purchase Office, and, for example, learn the intricacies of Excel on the Mac, will I be as expert on the Windows version? Or are the UIs just different enough to be problematic? Are there add-ons for the Windows version that I would want that I would not be able to find for the Mac version? (Am I asking the wrong questions?)

Would I be better off getting Parallels, running XP, and buying the Windows version of Office?

My questions above apply to Quickbooks as well.

Thanks........

2. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Howdy. I worked for eight years as an analyst for a Fortune 50 company, using Excel 2003 every day. While the basic spreadsheet capabilities of Mac and Windows are the same, some preferring the Mac interface, there are more differences once you get into heavy duty use.

Windows extras:

1. ActiveX (not always an advantage because this becomes a hole for viruses), but this is how Control Toolbox objects are created.

2. VBA, for macro capability. Office 2004 for Mac has limited VBA support (similar to Office 97 on Windows), Office 2008 for Mac has no VBA support.

If you want to be considered an "expert" in Excel, VBA is a must.

My recommendation is to get Parallels/VM Fusion and buy Office 2003/2007 for Windows.

3. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Simple answer; no. Excel 2007 on Windows is very different from Excel 2008 on the Mac. Not only from a UI perspective but also with regard to formulas, charts, pivot tables, VBA, etc.

Get a virtual machine (Sun's VirtualBox is free) and run Office 2007 for Windows if that's what you want to learn.