QuickButton - Create Shortcuts on your Home Screen

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ThumbApps, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ThumbApps, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

ThumbApps macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

QuickButton allows you to create customized Icon Buttons on your Home Screen for:

- Shortcuts to other apps
    - Shortcuts for SMS, Email, Phone Calls

- Shortcuts to prefs like Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and many more (UNFORTUNATELY this functionality will not be available on iOS 5.1 anymore)

- iTunes link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

- more information and screenshots

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I just bought this app because the function of this app is something I miss from the Android OS.

I found the way it adds the quick contact button to the home screen to be interesting. For those who really want to know, it seems that once you add your contact by either choosing the contact or creating it within the app itself (I figure that's what the phone number box is for), you're taken to Safari where it creates this page for you that you're then to add to your home screen. It's fairly effortless and I probably make it sound harder than it is. I think it's nice to add different color borders if the contact itself has no image. That's probably really a nice way of saying I'm silly and I like colors.

The app didn't appear to be slow or even difficult to manage. Clicking the quick button launched the phone app right away and started calling. I'd say that this simple app is a hit.

One question to the developer; does this app allow your server to access my contacts? Since it creates a pseudo webpage of sorts I wonder about this. I could not seem to really get my hands on the URL it uses so I'd like to believe that while I see a safari page, I am not really creating a web page to access my contacts. I am not sure if that makes sense.

A suggestion though is the SMS badge is small and hard to pick out right away. I have the same contact next to one another so the image is exactly the same. The only way to know which is quick button SMS and quick button call is to really look. I would increase the size slightly and perhaps make it another color. I realize I can label the quick buttons how I want, but I would prefer to see the picture.

3. ThumbApps thread starter macrumors newbie

@jessica.:
    The application does not need an internet connection and it does not need any server in the internet for button creation although it needs Safari for it. It creates a local web page on your phone that is only accessible on your phone one time when the button is created. All your data is safe.
    You can test this by activating Airplane Mode and then create a button.
    Dismiss the message box that asks for deactivating the Airplane Mode and create the button.

I will consider your suggestion regarding the icon size for the next update.
    Thanks for your feedback :)

4. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

There are free links available that provide the same service. Think twice before wasting your time buying this.

5. ThumbApps thread starter macrumors newbie

@Randman:
    May be but do they allow to create phone, sms, email buttons by simply choosing a contact from your phone book?
    Do they allow to modify the icon?

6. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I agree with this stance. The app is there to provide these features in one place and makes it super easy to use, not to mention integrates the contact list for further ease.

I can do all of this manually, but for a one-time $.99, I'll use the app.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You are right. I saw someone ask about this app on twitter and I bought it right away. I didn't really play with it until later where I did indeed turn the on Airplane mode and saw the app function properly. I'm very happy with the app and it was a 99 cent blind buy that worked out so far. Just increase that icon size or find a way to make it more visible. My sight is good so I imagine I'm not alone in this camp.
    I don't find the free versions to work as well or even similar to this one. I don't think spend a buck to get something a bit more polished is at all bad.

8. echo2011, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

echo2011 macrumors regular

**Edit** Now I see a thread with free codes for this app after buying it...story of my life!

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

10. echo2011 macrumors regular

Good gawd! why can"t apple just leave things alone...someone really needs control issue counseling!

11. ThumbApps thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately it will affect this app and the created settings shortcuts.
    All other functionality will not be affected, such as: Shortcuts for Phone Call, SMS, Email and shortcuts to other applications that support launching via URL.

12. echo2011 macrumors regular

I basically use it for the system shortcuts, not phone calls...so that will not be supported? In an event like this what do you do? give refunds?