Quicken 2008 is out....Mac version?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bstamant, Aug 13, 2007.

1. bstamant macrumors newbie

Anyone know if we can expect a Mac version of Quicken 2008?

2. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

I wouldn't see why they won't come out with it. I just wish it wasn't 2x the damn price of the Windows version :mad:

3. plumbot macrumors newbie

I just switched back to Mac. I'd heard Quicken 2007 Mac wasn't quite what the Windows version was. Talk about an understatement. It took all of about 15 minutes of using Win2007 to decide to return it (after spending hours straightening out all of my imported accounts :mad:.)

I have been searching, in desperation, to find a replacement. None of the Mac personal finance applications support direct connect downloading. I download transactions from 5 different places for 10ish different accounts on almost a daily basis so the one step update of Quicken is very important. But 2007 has so many other deficiencies that I just can't stand to use it.

The best solution I've come up with is using my old Quicken 2005 for Windows on CrossOver. Slower that I'd like, but it's got all the functionality I like.

If they don't launch 2008 for Mac with some serious upgrades, I will be sorely disappointed and will move to the first alternative to provide a version of One Step Update.

Okay, I'm off my soap box for now.

4. bstamant thread starter macrumors newbie

agreed

It's about time Apple stepped up to the plate (since Intuit won't) and produced their own personal finance software for the Mac. You can read countless reviews of personal finance software on the internet, for both Windows and Mac, and the overall feeling is that the available programs STILL don't provide a comprehensive, stable, attractive package. The meaningless yearly updates by Quicken and Money are proof that another player needs to step in and scoop up market share. Please Apple, help us out!

5. bstamant thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, just got done chatting with Quicken tech support and the response I got was:

"Quicken 2008 for Mac has not yet been released. But it will be soon. Keep checking the webpage for updates."

6. plumbot macrumors newbie

I talked to the Mac product manager at Intuit. They are tying in enhancements for Leopard, so maybe Quicken Mac 2008 will not be released before the October Leopard release (he wouldn't give specifics). From what I understand, Intuit is keenly aware that Quicken Mac is not up to snuff comparied to Quicken Win, and they are working on a rememdy. The way I heard it though (again he wouldn't give specifics) is that the next version will not be the finished product that he hopes to ultimately achieve. I'll post if I hear anything more.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm REALLY torn whether to get the Win version and run it via Parallels or wait for the Mac version. I've got Quicken 2005 now which is going to be sunset soon i.e., Intuit will cripple so that it won't be able to d/l bank info.

What really scares me about Quicken Mac 2008 is this will be the first UB version and we all know Intuit beta tests their Mac products have as well as
    M$.

Anyone having similar thoughts?

8. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I've been thinking the same thing, now that they've come out with Numbers. It seems like they're starting to move towards that direction, at least, I'd hope they do. It would seem like a smart move. So many people are purchasing software like Quicken because they need it, but they hate using it. I'm going to hold off as long as I can to wait and upgrade. I had been waiting on a UB version, but hopefully Apple will release something before then. I don't need anything fancy and exciting, just something to keep track of my expenses.

Hmmm, maybe tie in with Number to generate reports??? They might have a long term plan for all this.

9. plumbot macrumors newbie

10. cwclifford macrumors newbie

Quicken (and alternatives) Online

Dunno if you all saw this news story but Intuit is planning to move services online for their Quicken products: http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9759443-7.html

It looks promising but will prolly only work on Vista/XP in IE! ;)

But, for those who are tired of Intuit's sloppy answer to a Mac user's need for a robust, EASY-TO-USE financial tracking tool, you can try Mvelopes.com.

I've used Mvelopes for a while now and after the initial learning curve (it is more about budgeting than tracking investments) you really get into the groove - and actually enjoy - managing your accounts! It's web-based and has a mobile service that'll let you connect from virtually anywhere - no software required.

It'll also connect to just about ANY account that uses a web-based login. That said, I can vouch for the fact that I have 100% of my account transactions loading automatically into Mvelopes! That's well over a dozen accounts of all types - mortgage, credit card, even PayPal!

It's worth checking out and they give you 30 days to try it. :)

11. figman4 macrumors newbie

Ummmm

No worries...check out Money Dance....it does direct downloads......phew and on a Mac too

12. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

I just got the new-model iMac. On my old G5 I was using Quicken 2005. Tried it, it doesn't seem to want to run on the new computer. So I could buy Quicken 2007, but am I better off waiting until 2008 comes out? :'(

13. plumbot macrumors newbie

Personally I would keel over dead if I was without Quicken for a few days. You could say I'm a bit OCD about it....

14. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

Well crap! I bought and downloaded Quicken 2007, and it appears either my Rosetta isn't working or SOMETHING, because it won't boot up. GREAAAAAAAAT. :'(

15. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

In my experience...Money Dance blows. It's like Quicken's red-headed step child. Obviously, the number one choice is Quicken on, dare I say it, Windows. It's simply the best out there. I run it via Parallels, and wouldn't have it any other way.

16. plumbot macrumors newbie

17. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I haven't used Quicken on Windows for years, but I never liked it. Microsoft Money was always the perfect money software for me though, the only thing I miss from Windows. Liquid Ledger works for me on OSX, once I started using it for a while.

18. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Come on now. Comparing Liquid Ledger to Quicken is like comparing iMovie to Final Cut Pro. The lack of features on Liquid Ledger is frightening. Even basic stuff, like online interaction with your bank, is absent in Liquid Ledger. You can only download recent spending, not upload/interact info with your bank whatsoever.

19. outaru macrumors member

if Quicken 2008 will not have multi-currency support, i'll stick to ibank

20. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Same here. Although iBank3's portfolio is still a little quirky (and I REALLY wish they would move over to Google Finance from Yahoo, because Yahoo doesn't have any of my Canadian mutual funds listed)