Quicken 2016 for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hrothgar, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

I've read some reviews claiming that the new(ish) Quicken for Mac actually compares favorably with the Windows version. Anyone here try it?

What's the best Mac alternative?

2. akwarner macrumors member

For many years I continued to run the Windows Quicken in a virtual machine on my Macs. Only with Quicken Mac 2016 did I finally feel that they had improved the product enough for me to try it in a fairly lengthy test. I ran them side by side (so to speak) for about a month and in the end I switched to the Mac version. I have been using it for about four months or so now and I have been overall quite pleased.

Now my usage pattern may not reflect everyone else, and I probably do not use all the major feature features that the Windows version has, but I have been pleased with what I have been using. Major things for me have been:

Online downloads from several institutions
    401(k) / IRA stuff from multiple banks
    checking / savings from multiple banks (check register type stuff)
    a couple mortgages
    various assets
    a couple built-in reports on net worth and investment totals

I am probably missing some stuff but I have been pleased with what I have been using it for.

A.

3. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Markc1024 macrumors member

I've been running the 2015 version. There have been many ups and downs through it's evolution, but it's final stabilized. I'll most likely hold-off on 2016 and see what's next (2017?); I can't see paying for each new version they come out with.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

They had been releasing what I considered frequent/regular updates to Quicken Mac 2016.

Seems to have slowed down a bit now, but having used previous Quicken Mac versions, I've been impressed with how quickly they've moved to fix bugs and address issues brought up on their community.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Rather than repeat myself, here is my experience with Quicken for Mac 2016, coming from Quicken for Windows (in a virtual machine) with a side look at Moneydance:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/quicken-for-mac-alternative.1860249/page-6#post-22648445

and

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/quicken-for-mac-alternative.1860249/page-6#post-23269034

and just today:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/quicken-for-mac-alternative.1860249/page-7#post-23270612

In some ways the Mac version is better than the Windows version, at least it is easier to use its supported features.

7. mk313 macrumors regular

If you are a hard-core Quicken Windows user, you will likely be disappointed. It seems that there are specific tasks where the Mac version doesn't compare to the Windows version (mainly with regards to investments, it seems). That being said, I love it. I had Quicken 2007 (which I loved), Essentials (which I hated & never used), 2015 (which was pretty good), and 2016 (which is also very good). My favorite version was still 2007, but since many financial institutions no longer support the direct download, I had to make the jump. 2016 is very good. I love the mobile syncing. They have been updating the app quite frequently, and it just keeps getting better and better in my opinion.