Quicken Alternatives - What does "reporting" the best?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by loudguitars, Jun 20, 2007.

1. loudguitars macrumors member

I just bought a new SR MBP, and while I'm waiting for it to arrive, I'm trying to figure out what to do about finanacial software.

I've been running Quicken '04, and from everything I'm reading, Quicken '07 is much, much worse. So, I've started looking into Quicken alternatives, but my weird set of needs seems to be hard to meet:

• What I really need is the ability to generate the "category spending reports" that Quicken has. This reporting is extremely useful to me, particularly around tax time. I haven't found a program that does this anywhere near as well as quicken.
    • I input everything by hand because I find it forces me to keep better track of my spending, so I'm not terribly concerned about automated downloads of financial information.
    • Must have support for at least hand-entry of investment accounts. I have an IRA that I like to at least keep vague track of.
    I've trialed Checkbook and Moneydance and found both lacking, particularly in the reporting category, which as I said is a definite need for me. LiquidLedger seems cool, but the lack of investment account support is a dealbreaker.

Since Quicken '07 isn't a UB and I don't need/want the downloading features that have been disabled, should I just stick with Quicken '04? Or is there a better alternative out there that has good reporting options?

2. pooky macrumors 6502

I am a former Quicken user, and I eventually abandoned it because I couldn't stomach paying for it when it just got worse as time went on. I tried a number of things, and eventually wound up sticking with iBank. It's not as feature complete as Quicken, but it works better. The interface takes getting used to, but I find that I like it better now. It does have limited reporting capabilities, and decent support for hand-inputting investment accounts.

3. loudguitars thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply - How limited are iBank's reporting capabilities as compared to Quicken? iBank looks good on the surface, but their trial is really cumbersome. I'd love to get some more details about what it can and can't do from someone who's used it for more than a few transactions.

4. loudguitars thread starter macrumors member

Giving this thread a bit of a bump...

Anyone out there tried Jumsoft's Money? Their website claims they dropped their trial limitations, but I can't import my .QIF files into it to test it out.

Anybody who knows about reporting for Money or iBank, any advice would be helpful.

5. William9 macrumors newbie

I spent some time with the trial version of iBank and Liquid Ledger. In my opinion both of them have only primitive reporting functionality. MoneyDance has better reporting. Quicken has the best reporting, but I'm looking for an alternative to Quicken because I'm having difficulty with file corruption in Quicken.
    The true accounting applications like MYOB FirstEdge or AccountEdge have very well developed reporting features. They are in a different, small business category. But, boy are they stable on the Mac.