Quicken and QuickBooks - Mac Version

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CRK17, Feb 25, 2008.

1. CRK17 macrumors newbie

We have a small business that deals with international travel consultation and we are looking for a book keeping program for our iMac. I've read on this forum in numerous threads that a lot of people do not like the Quicken software for the Mac. However the posts never seem to state exactly what they don't like about the software other than to say it "sucks" or it should be like the PC version. So can anyone tell me specifically what they don't like about the software?

I need a software program that will permit me to do invoicing, expense tracking by time and category and online banking including credit card transactions. Obviously I don’t need to deal with inventory and at this time I don’t need payroll support and probably won’t in the future either.

So how bad is the Mac Quicken and specifically what is so bad about it?

Thanks

2. fireworks501 macrumors member

Agreed - help anyone?

I have similar needs - have read the reviews of Mac Quicken on the online Apple Store and they bomb. Just purchased QuickBooks for Mac and haven't set it up yet - are there any other Mac native programs I should look at? (I don't want to set up Parallels to have to run Quicken on Windows).

Thanks-

3. CRK17 thread starter macrumors newbie

No Input???

Surprised no one has given any input. Seems people are ready to bash Quicken with it "sucks", "why can't it be like the PC version", "Quicken doesn't care about Mac users" but when you ask for specific issues the silence is deafening.

Fireworks501,

Like you I don't want to run parallels if I don't have to, especially for only one program. Have you had a chance to set up your Quickbooks? What type of things are you planning to use it for?

Anyone out there using Mac Quickbooks for invoicing and expense tracking? What are the deficiencies with the Mac version?

Thanks for any input.

4. Undecided macrumors 6502a

I've been using Quickbooks for the Mac, including the current version. Without a doubt, the Windows version is more advanced. It's almost as if the Mac version is the lite version.

Having said that, the Mac version does meet my needs. It doesn't have built in time tracking but I don't need that. I get annoyed that register entries can't be set to always open with the split showing. (You have to click on "splits")

There isn't really any alternative, at least for me. There is MYOB, of course, but I found it more crude. Obviously, there are many more high end solutions available.

The requirement that it do online banking including credit card processing certain limits your options. There are a lot of programs you might look at though, including:

liquidledger
    Big Business
    Intacct
    Goldenseal

Check out the downloads area of apple.com ("business and finance") and google "mac accounting" or something.