Quicken and VMWare/Parallels

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clydesdale, Oct 7, 2009.

1. clydesdale macrumors newbie

I have successfully migrated over to an iMac with one exception. I have 15 years of data in Quicken and don't necessarily want to face the challenge of migrating the data to a new app or waiting for Quicken to ship a version for the Mac that is as competent as the Windows version. I have been considering buying VMware or Parallels but I am concerned about the challenges that may bring along. Also my IBM ThinkCentre is 4 or 5 years old and I only have recovery CD's. I don't have any Windows XP Home CD's. The machine is hanging on by a thread and has seen more viruses, registry cleans, etc so I hate to use a VW image of that installation of Windows XP Home. The last thing I want to do is go out and buy a full retail copy of Windows 7 when I have already paid for Windows XP Home and don't need or want Windows 7. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. DaveF macrumors 6502a

With a similar situation, I use Parallels to run XP Home and MS Money for my finances. But to install Windows, you need complete install CDs (Service Pack 2 for WinXP). Those "recovery" CDs won't work.

That said, if you google "slipstream windows xp", you might find information on creating the necessary installation disc from your existing media. I don't know.

When I bought my new Mac, I bought Parallels and WinXP Home OEM and installed everything. I didn't want to waste time worrying over the issue. A little money saved a lot of headaches :)

3. mongrol macrumors regular

4. DaveF macrumors 6502a

You could try CrossOver. Various versions of Quicken have some support. If it works adequately, it would be the easiest and cheapest solution.