quicken essentials - any problems with refund?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by btownguy, Mar 2, 2010.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

Has anyone had any experience yet requesting a refund for their purchase of Quicken Essentials for Mac? I'm considering purchasing it to try it out. My requirements are very limited:

1) Only need it for checking
    2) Need to categorize transactions (and create/delete categories)
    3) Need to do basic reports by category and by payee, both monthly and YTD

From what I've read, most of the complaints are that QEM is stripped down and very lacking on the investment side. That won't be a problem for me. Everything else says that the interface is very nice. That does matter to me.

I'm currently using MoneyDance and I like it, but it's kind of buggy. The developer seems responsive, but I'd like to move to QEM if it's polished and I can do the type of reporting I require.

So, if I buy it and don't like it - do you think I'll have any problem getting a refund?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

For what you are wanting, Quicken will do the job
    Even the older versions of Quicken would have been enough

As far as the refund, I can't help you there
    I have used Quicken since the early 90's on the Mac, but I won't be buying this upgrade
    Nothing new in it that I need

3. hanslabyrinth macrumors newbie

I just got Quicken Essentials and i really like it, for what i do with it, it is a huge improvement over 2007. The interface is really nice. There was a couple of little glitches on import, but they were easy to rectify.

And i don't use bill pay or stock tracking, i have 8 accounts i keep track of and it more than does what i need it for.

I believe that all the people that are bashing it are just bashing it for what it can't do and not how well it does what it can do.

I think quicken needs to come forward and make it more clear that this is not the "Quicken Financial Life" that they were promising everyone, they had to go back to the drawing board on that and are going to release it next year.(supposedly)

I think this is an intermediate app to please people like me that don't need all the other features of the windows Quicken.

So i recommend it for what it does do, it does really well.

hope this helps

4. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you pleased with the reporting capabilities on your checking accounts?

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I know at any retail store, if you open software it is nonreturnable, as the stores feel you may have copied it on your computer and can still use the software even though you returned it. I'd check with the Quicken and/or the store first to see what their policy is.

6. hanslabyrinth macrumors newbie

Reports are now under, Category Explorer. And i find it does what i need and does it better than 2007 does. I am a freelance designer and need to keep track of all my expenses, and the reporting/category explorer has a very clean interface and gets me at the info i need very quickly and the design is much better than 2007. But again i am not a "Quicken Power User" i don't do stocks or paybills with it. But everything that i use it for, essentials does better than 2007 did.

7. mddharma macrumors regular

Does it print checks?

I had read it does not print checks (have some need for this with my business) AND I had read when you import from past versions the check numbers do not come over. If this is the case - I can't use it.

8. hanslabyrinth macrumors newbie

When you said this, it made me think, maybe it doesn't Bring over Check Numbers, As i pay all my bills online and the checks i get for my business is all handled in Quickbooks i don't write a lot of checks, so i went and investigated, and it did bring them in, the weird thing is that the Check Number Tab isn't visible as default tab, so i right clicked on the Tabs and sure enough, "Number" was there, then all my check numbers are now there.

This is for bringing it in, not sure if it prints checks or not, if i find out i will post it here.

9. paigem macrumors newbie

QEM budget function & refund

I'm very disappointed with QEM. I wanted it for a good budget function, but it so inflexible, I'm ready to go back to Quicken 2006, or even a spreadsheet.

Does anyone have suggestions for

1) easy to use budget tracking on Mac

2) how to contact Intuit for this refund (I have not been able to find contact info)

Thanks!
    Paige

10. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm using Numbers for budgeting and QEM for tracking day to day expenses. It's a bit more trouble than I'd like, but I like having a spreadsheet that shows how much I can spend on clothes, food, rent, light, etc. and then QEM to actually track how much I have in my accounts. I guess it makes sense, since I'll pay cash for a lot of different categories. If I just track my spending in QEM, it'll show I withdrew $200 cash and not really know where that money was spent.

11. sailnavy macrumors member

What is wrong with Intuit?

Ok, I admit it, I like QEM for a few days.

Then I realized that I can't:

get it to graph net worth over time.
    delete any payees from the quickfill list without deleting them in the register
    use the register without it being full screen because it's one line per transaction
    deal with the fact that all my transfers are now listed as Misc (13 years worth)
    combine payees without having QEM crash
    seek support in a a QEM only forum, I have to dig through all the windows posts

I don't know what they're doing at Intuit, but I'm not impressed.

12. TriForLife macrumors newbie

Help with QEM

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert the QEM data file back to Quicken 2007 format? I don't really like QEM (just can't get used to the interface, etc).

Thanks

13. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I don't think so.

What don't you like about it? How long have you been using it? It was awkward for me at first, especially since I used Quicken 2006 for 4 years or so, but after using QE for almost a year I think, I really like it. I will admit that I use it for basic tracking of checking/savings account balances and don't really use some of the other features it comes with.

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

I've been using Quicken essentials for about 2 months now, was using Quicken for Mac 2007. The only reason I got the upgrade was to prepare to move to Lion later and Quicken 2007 requires Rosetta, which isn't going to be available in Lion.

It's good enough for just tracking checkbook/savings. I still prefer Quicken 2007 as it has a lot more features.

15. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

What features are you missing? I know QE has more than just what's on the surface, but I really don't bother with them. I keep a separate budget in Numbers, so I can track my spending, and honestly, I really could care less how much I spent last year on food and fuel, except just for curiosity.

You can always email Quicken and give them the feedback on the features you're looking for. There's a menu item just for this. They've been very quick to respond to feedback, either by updating the software or adding the features. Since I've been using QE, I've noticed in the update change logs that new features had been added.

16. atr macrumors regular

I purchased Quicken online about 6 months back and was not happy with it. I tried it for about a week and then requested a refund. They were very professional and refunded my money right away.