Quicken Essentials for Mac gets more features and a lower price

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CaptainJeff, Apr 23, 2010.

1. CaptainJeff macrumors member

I got an email from Intuit today that they are refunding $20 from my purchase price of Quicken Essentials for Mac and will be releasing new features (such as export to spreadsheet, export to Turbotax, etc) in the near term for free. Everyone that bought the product gets the refund. It seems they realized that the price for what you get isn't a good balance and they also committed to introducing many of the missing features (bill pay, check printing, more complex investment tracking) in the near term.

It's not perfect, but it's a good start. Kudos to Intuit for this move.

More at Ars Technica.
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...-for-mac-price-drops-amid-user-complaints.ars

2. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm glad to see Intuit pay attention to the Mac again. Unfortunately, my Quicken data is all in Windows format now. Have there been any improvements in the import/export from/to Windows format? I would love to try out a working Quicken on my Mac, but, I'm stuck using it on the old Windows box.

3. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I bought Quicken Essentials about a month ago. I have to admit that it is staggeringly and mindblowingly bad. I don't need my software to do too much, but seriously what they have left out is shocking. For example, the program only allows you to look at your current months budget. There is no ability to look back at prior months or chart your budget over a longer than one month spending period. You can't show income over expenses over time. You can't chart net worth changes over time, just a current snap shot. These are the simplest freaking reports that I can think of. How does a financial program not be able to do this?
    On the plus side, the program does download my financial information, including credit card charges, nicely. Kudos to the group that did that part of the programing (i.e., the actually hard part). Demerits to the team responsible for generating the reports.
    I'm assuming that a few simple updates are going to be forthcoming. That's the only reason I haven't returned my copy.