Quicken Essentials

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Siron, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I am using Quicken 2010 in Parallels and I connect to my bank via a login and password directly from Quicken. When I need to pay a bill to say Duke Energy, I create a check and then check the ONLINE box in the same window. When I do an UPDATE Quicken transmits the information to my bank (Wachovia) who then cut a check to Duke Energy (the same basic procedure as doing an ONLINE PAYMENT in Money.

I understand that in the Essentials version Intuit removed the Bill Pay option due to low usage (my understanding is that this is the online bill pay that runs on the Quicken servers).

I'm getting conflicting information from Intuit on exactly what can be done to pay bills, so can someone who has used Quicken Essentials on the Mac confirm if bill paying through your bank is possible as it was in Quicken for Mac 2007, Quicken for PC 2010 and Money?
    Thanks

2. pokeyjoe macrumors newbie

I quit using Quicken's bill pay feature some time ago for two reasons:
    1. The bank charges money for service (it was about $10 a month for me)
    2. Payment was delayed by a day or two due to the interface between Quicken and the bank.

Log onto your bank's website and pay bills there. You can set up a list payees and, best of all, its free.

3. Mustang Maniac macrumors newbie

Quicken Essentials

Quicken Essentials removed all versions of bill pay from their software. Additionally, they've removed the ability to enter buy/sell/etc transactions in a brokerage account.

I tried QE and quickly reverted to Quicken for Windows (via parallels). I've decided I won't budge from Q4W until one of 3 things happens.

1) Quicken for Mac is feature complete with Quicken for Windows (including no need to 'convert' data)
    2) Some other software comes along that does everything Quicken does.
    3) Hell freezes over.

#3 is in the lead.

Jeff

4. Siron thread starter macrumors 6502

Siron

Jeff/pokeyjoe
    I know that they removed their bill pay service but that was not what I was asking about. I wanted to know if you could pay bills in Quicken Essentials through your bank as you can do in Quicken 2010 for PC (not by going online to your bank's website but inside Quicken).