Quicken Financial Life for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drewyboy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. drewyboy macrumors 65816

I have to vent about how much bull quicken is with it's financial life for mac. First of all I became a beta tester because I wanted to test it out. I got a beta invite probably 9 months ago and have been using it and it's ok but missing a ton of crap. But what really got me pissed off is I went to use it and I got locked out of my beta, it was saying I had to download an update, but I was unable to download the update because the option was grayed out so I thought that they closed the beta because their website use to say "coming summer 2009", and now they pushed it back AGAIN till this fall. This reminds me of last summer, quicken said it was suppose to be out summer of 2008, then got pushed back to the fall, then in january they said it would be out this summer, and now is pushed back to the fall. Sounds familiar. Quicken can just plain shove it. Sorry about the rant, but does anyone have a good replacement for personal finances?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

3. Solarusdude macrumors newbie

I also got locked out of my beta version of Quicken Financial Life for Mac and quite frankly, I wasn't impressed with it either. I've been waiting for well over a year for Quicken to come out and I finally lost my patience last weekend and bought iBank. Based on my initial impressions, iBank is not nearly as mature as MS Money or Quicken (both in features and in general stability). The good news is that the developers are constantly updating the program with new features and they're pretty responsive with users' comments. My biggest gripe with iBank is that their forcasting doesn't predict daily account balances (only weekly at best) and their budgeting is pretty weak.

4. mongrol macrumors regular

It's a beta. You're supposed to be beta testing it and reporting bugs. Not using it as a free version of QFL for everyday finances. You have no right of complaint.

5. Solarusdude macrumors newbie

Mongrol, I've been beta testing QFL for months and I have a right to my opinion about what Intuit has done so far. To say that I used a beta to manage my daily finances was a careless assumption.

6. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

He has no right of complaint? Why not? He's not allowed to express his opinion of an upcoming software product? Isn't that what forums are for? I tried the beta too and after using it for a few weeks, decided I don't care that much for it myself either, not to mention the fact that it's taking them forever to get it out.

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I've been waiting and waiting for QFL to come out...I used MS Money on a PC for 10 years before switching to a Mac and still use Money (via Fusion). When I go through the pain of converting to a Mac program, I only want to do it once and figured with Quicken's reputation it would be the one to migrate to.

So two years later, still no QFL and still no solid date of when it'll be here....says to me that Quicken is mainly worried about Turbotax on the Mac and doesn't see much of a revenue stream with QFL, so it'll be released "whenever".

8. mongrol macrumors regular

Sorry, my comment was directed at the opening poster. Who clearly was using it as a production tool as didn't like it when Intuit took it off him.

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I am literally doing the same thing (Money with Fusion). I just read somewhere that MS has discontinued Money and that some banks will soon be stopping support for their format - ugh. Now I'll be forced to find something else.

10. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I had the same problem too. I actually was enjoying using QFL. There were some quirks, but it seemed a lot better than some of the other apps out there.

I know a lot of people complained about missing features, but most of those features aren't ones we use every day and they're also not ones that might have many different types of input.

I think the main point of the beta was to get the kinks of out entering and downloading transactions. There were a lot of issues with downloading, and I believe most of them were fixed.

I don't know if I'm going to purchase QFL when it launches. I really want to, but I'm getting tired of using Q'06 and want something now, although I'm not happy with anything out there.

11. pgnesmith macrumors newbie

Beta

FYI. I also used the "beta". The purpose of beta is to get an almost complete version out for bug testing. They put out a version that was entirely useable. Not even close to beta. I agree with the previous complaint. If that is what they considered beta, well my hopes for a good upgrade went out the window. I am going to have to eventually switch to something else. I just don't know what. Anyone out there use parallel with windows quicken?

12. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm assuming you meant unusable....but what part was unusable? I used it for a few months and it worked pretty good for me, at least the parts that were unlocked. What parts of the software were unusable that you thought would be usable?