Quicken for Mac 2010 Available for Pre-Order

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by southerndoc, Nov 25, 2009.

1. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

2. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

One word: UGH!

3. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

heh...so to get more "advanced reports" the vendor is telling you to go back to a version that's 3 years old instead of their shiny new version? Seems to me that this step forward in version is a step backwards in usefulness. That's an interesting marketing plan.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh please, over promised, under delivered and typical awful mac support have driven me away as a customer. I found better apps that actually produce updates and provide a stable functioning product.

5. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Quicken 2010 for Mac: We'd prefer you stay with 2007

Or more generally

6. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

"3. Can I pay my bills within Quicken?

While you cannot pay bills within the product itself ("direct bill pay"), you can track your bills and make sure you have enough cash to pay them when they're due. A few alternatives available include using Quicken Mac 2007 or using the bill pay functionality on Quicken Bill Pay."

I've been paying my bills directly from within Quicken (for DOS) and then of course within Windows since 1991. And they are NOT including that functionality within the Mac version! WOW

Guess I'll be keeping my W7 install on VMWare around.

WOW!!

7. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

So to convert from MS Money, first I have to buy Quicken for Windows to convert it to that format, then throw that away and buy Quicken for Mac which can open the Quicken for Windows files? Not particularly appealing.

8. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I couldn't have said it better. Intuit can KMA.

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Wow. It's unbelievable that after all of this time they are going backwards in features and capability. I am still looking for a replacement for MS Money running in Fusion and I guess my search still continues...

10. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

So I guess this is why they delayed the release of the Mac version and these are the improvements that are the reason for the delay. I'm done with Quicken now.

11. TeeJayEm macrumors regular

So, i've been looking for a program to manage my finances. Could someone please suggest a good application for snow leopard?

Thanks

12. hakr macrumors regular

And one that readily prints checks, for those of us still using checks.

13. iggypop macrumors member

Why wait for Quicken Mac 2010?

Full disclosure: I work for the developer of iBank. Not to display my obvious bias, but given the above comments re: investment handling, MS Money export, printing checks and Snow Leopard compatibility, iBank may be a workable Quicken replacement for some or all of you. There's a free trial (always) and $10 off (thru Dec. 31). Check it out: http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank

To be scrupulously fair, there are other Mac finance solutions out there as well. But no one should feel stuck with Quicken or be forced to run Windows just to manage their money. :)

14. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Just started using iBank last week and love it so far. Some things missing, but overall a great program.

15. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Iggypop,

Thanks for the information and the full disclosure.

I'll at least give it a look-see.

David

16. klaxamazoo, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

I've got a couple of questions about iBank:
    1) Does iBank let me attach .pdf receipts to each transaction?
    2) How well does it integrate with Quicken or Quickbooks for Windows if I want to send my account information to my CPA at tax time?

Thanks,
    Bob

17. rayward macrumors 68000

It's actually not even that simple. The Q for W to Q for M conversion loses a whole bunch of linked transactions in the ether.

18. iggypop macrumors member

hey owen,

1) yes. you may attach PDFs or other images - including photos snapped with your iSight cam - to your iBank transactions.

2) you can readily export iBank data to QIF (for quicken), TXF (turbotax) or CSV (excel).

hope that helps. if you have further questions, feel free to check with our support team (support@iggsoftware.com), even prior to purchase.

19. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I've used iBank since I switched to a Mac about a year ago. I used the trial version of several different finance packages and settled on iBank.

IMO, it is the best alternative to Quicken, but it does have some quirks. Importing works great but entering single transactions could be better. Reconciliation is weak; the user interface takes some getting used to.

Help is next to non-existent so you should read the help forums. Program is updated frequently. Overall, well worth the money. I just wish the UI was a bit better.

20. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Not an option then, thanks for the info. I was hoping that being able to read the .mny file directly would mean an end to all the issues associated with exporting one account at a time via qif files, but if it doesn't work properly it's moot. As I have 20+ years of records in Money there are a lot of accounts and transfers between them as well as investment records. I don't want to lose any of that, or there's no point moving away from Money in a virtual machine.

How hard can it be to reverse engineer the Money format anyway for import purposes? Are there any products that can do it? Seems to me anyone who implemented direct import from .mny files in their Mac product might have a higher chance of getting new customers when people switch to Mac. The first stumbling block for switching MS Money users is finding a Mac product with the featureset they need - Money does a lot of things, and it's unlikely that anyone uses all of it, so people's needs may vary. The second stumbling block is a practical and simple means of conversion with no data loss at all. Without the second, the first is a bit irrelevant.