Quicken for Mac - basic features only

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robo456, Oct 7, 2010.

1. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Hey guys.

I've been reading thru the various threads on running Quicken in VMs and alternate programs here on MR.

I'm thinking on getting a new 27" in the coming weeks and currently run Quicken 2005 on my PC at home. I don't use any online features, no payment options, no stock tracking; basically I use it as a check register to keep track of "the bottom line".

Would Quicken for Mac be a solution for just this basic task? I read that I'd have to upgrade to 2007 on the PC side for the Mac version to import it, but aside from that, any problems? I'd like to stick to Quicken because a) I have years and years of information I'd like to not lose, and b) it's quick, easy, and clean.

Thanks!

--rob

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

You will probably be disappointed in Quicken for Mac. I certainly was. Intuit has crippled many of the features of the PC version in the mac version. If all you want is a "checkbook" (and even if you want more), there are many other things to choose from, and most are either free or much less costly than Quicken. Just for starters, there is Moneydance, iBank, Mint and more. Each has their own features, check them out and decide. Most will import your Quicken files into their own program. I have switched to iBank and it imported my files quite well. I like it very much, but again, there are others and I'm sure other posters will fill you in on what they like and don't.

Good luck, and enjoy your new mac!

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Totally agree! I switched to iBank 2+ years when I switched to Macs from eons of PCs and Quicken. Quicken's attempt at creating a program for Macs as a complete Fail IMO. BTW, I still use Intuit for my checks which I print nicely and easily through iBank.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use Quicken 2007 for Mac and it works fine. Like you I just use it as a check register and to keep track of accounts. I don't bother with anything like on-line sync or downloading stock quotes or anything like that. It's simple and I have years worth of transactions on it that would be a pain to convert to anything else. It's never crashed or given me any trouble.

However, don't try to sync the data files to other computers using Dropbox; Dropbox will corrupt the quicken data files during sync.

When I switched to the Mac, I was able to import my old quicken data from the Windows version 5 years ago.

5. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456