Quicken for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vix2000, Dec 2, 2010.

1. vix2000 macrumors regular

Having just made the switch from windows I am trying to get everything I need on my mac. The current mission is quicken. I've been using quicken 2010 for US, changing the currency to stirling. I've had a look at quicken essentials and it doesn't appear to have one of the features I use most, the financial calendar. I have looked at 2007 for mac, and this doesn't have the ability to change the currency symbol. So I wondered if anyine could recommend a viable alternative.

I only use it for my personal accounts so don't need tax or interest calcs. I don't need to link it online. I need to put dd's and so's in and out and I need the financial calendar. I would also like to display the £ sign.

Anyone got any suggestions please??

2. mikepro macrumors 6502

No sure if t his will work for you, but I recently switched to Mac, after being a PC Quicken user for about 15 years.

My ultimate solution? I gave up Quicken. I found I can do everything (better) I did in Quicken by using Mint.com, and online bill pay through my bank.

Now, depending on your circumstances/requirements, this may or may not work for you. If not, then probably the least disruptive thing for you would be to buy a copy of Parallels or VMware fusions, and run a Windows virtual machine and keep using Quicken in Windows as you are now.

I did this as a stop gap to see if I could live with mint.com, and haven't started Quicken in months.

3. vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, is that mint as in the credit card company?

4. mikepro macrumors 6502

It's mint, as in www.mint.com. They are not a credit card company. Did you look at the website? Funnily enough, they are actually owned by Intuit, the makers of Quicken.

5. swiftflo macrumors regular

You could try www.accountz.com or http://www.ScimonoceSoftware.com/ (SEE Finance).

I am using both these with a imac at the moment. SEE Finance because HAZ which is from accountz.com is fairly new, so need to be sure it works okay for me. LOL

6. chartsmalm macrumors newbie

chartsmalm

I went thru the same

I couldn't even get quicken for Mac to get the correct numbers from quicken for windows. I was a 12 year quicken user. I found Moneydance (moneydance.com) to give me the comfort that I felt with Quicken for windows. I don't know about the currency shift. You would need to talk to them about that, But the program, and its protocols for online connections, is really smooth and comfortable to use - with very reliable results.

Good luck!!
    Don

7. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

9. ugzruben macrumors newbie

I am also new to the mac family but the Quicken Essentials have a lot to be desired from Windows Quicken 2010.

For one, you cannot do a quick transaction entering. You have to click "NEW" to add a withdraw or deposit. In windows it maintains an open line item that you can easily add transactions at a fast and quick rate.

The Mac version slows things down tremendously. Also the reconciliation is weird.

Anyway, I have tried to find a way to change the settings but haven't found a way yet.

I also tried Mac Money and some others and haven't found one that allows for quick entry of transactions.

Thanks - MY TWO CENTS