Quicken for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whatusername, Dec 27, 2010.

1. whatusername macrumors newbie

Greetings. I am currently a Windows (via bootcamp and parallels) Quicken 2010 user, but I am tired of having to boot to windows. Any thoughts on Mac Essentials? Based on research it sounds really "weak", but I thought I'd reach out to the trusty MacRumors forum for input...

Please let me know your thoughts.

2. mattwallace24 macrumors regular

Weak is an understatement. I've been a long time Quicken for Windows user and recently bought a Mac. Despite all the negative reviews, I purchased Quicken Essentials thinking it couldn't possibly be that bad.

It is that bad. It basically is only the register from Quicken plus ONE spending graph. Want to see your net worth graphed on the dashboard. Can't because their is no dashboard or any other reports or graphs for that matter.

Investment tracking? None. Only displays your last downloaded balance. No ytd returns, no investment transactions, nothing.

I've already submited my refund request and will use that towards getting Paralells to run my existing Windows version.

3. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

MoneyDance is what I use after moving from Quicken/Windows. It can import QIF files so if your version of Quicken can export QIF, you are pretty much setup for getting started.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use iBank and that's a decent program. I'd not call Quicken for the Mac as weak, but rather a POS.

5. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

6. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Which one of these programs will automatically download transactions from the bank, like MS Money used to do?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not sure, but personally, I don't like that idea. I'd rather be the one requesting the download. Something about the software automatically going into my bank account seems a little unsettling.

8. scotpole macrumors member

Captured Audience

Yackov Smirinoff used to talk about how great it was performing in the old Soviet Union because a performer had a captured audience. They were not going anywhere. And so is the Saga with Intuit. They have a captured audience that they could charge almost any reasonable amount for their product and their attitude is to hate Mac users.
    My last Mac upgrade is Quicken 2007 which by my estimates is 5 years old. It handles stocks and it handles finances which is infinetely better than 2004 which after a time corrupted your data. I loved that conversation with Intuit, "your data is Corrupted."
    "But Quicken Corrupted my data."
    I have looked far and wide and while it seems reasonable that Msoft Office would have Excel templates that could be easily modified or that complete personal finance templates would be included with Bento or FileMaker, this is not the case.
    I guess All software companies think Mac users are kind of dumb and we only fool around with video and pictures and words and we certainly could not be smart enough to work an accounting program.
    I have iBank 4 and I will probably convert to it in the New Year. I do not see where I have a choice and I do not want to run WinDoze and have two firewalls, two virus checkers, and two operating systems. Because of Intuit I would be forced into buying WinDoze just to run their program.
    I wish I got a warm fuzzy feeling from Intuit, but I think they have been giving me a simple hand gesture for a lot of years.