Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

water0125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Hi All. I've just bought my first mac. After setting everything up, I now realize that my Quicken financial software is not going to transfer easily. We have several small businesses, so we need the functionality of a robust financial software program. We would also like to transfer all of old data to the new mac.

We've looked into Quicken for MAC, changing to Quickbooks and changing to IBank. None of that is working well. Now, we are thinking of installing software to allow us to continue to use our Quicken for Windows. (Disclaimer: I am not computer savvy, so please excuse any verbiage errors. Thanks!)

I've seen that people are using VMFusion, Parallels, and another one -- free one that I can't think of the name. From what I've read, I think the free one is not as robust as Fusion and Parallels. I've read that Parallels is faster in most situations.

Quicken will be the ONLY Windows software that we will be using on the MAC. We are not gamers. If we install Fusion or Parallels, do we need to install a windows OS as well? Does anyone suggest Fusion or Parallels more?

Has anyone done this and did all of your data transfer over properly. Any tips, suggestions, etc for a successful switchover? We have a lot of data and really need to get everything switched over smoothly.

THANKS SO MUCH!
--Natalie.

PS: We really can't wait until 2010 for the new quicken either!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you plan on only using one app, then go for virtualbox (that's the free one) otherwise I highly recommend VMware Fusion. The company has been doing virtualization since day one. They have a solid and fast app and is very stable. Well worth the expense IMHO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.