Quicken OSX Back Up and Mighty Mouse Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LillieDesigns, Jul 26, 2007.

1. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

I've had my iMac for about a year now (20inch Intel) and I have noticed significant slowdown on the machine. I was wondering if there are programs to run to get rid of unnecessary programs or even malicious programs running in the background at startup.

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a decent complete uninstaller program.

And to top it all off my Mighty Mouse won't scroll down and cleaning it isn't helping....sigh.

Thanks for the help.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

All the apps and processes that run at startup will be found in either the StartupItems folder on your hard drive's library, or in the Login Items in your System Preferences Account pane. Remove them from these places where necessary, and the processes will not begin at startup/login.

I don't bother with uninstaller apps. If I want to remove an app I simply drag it to the trash and empty. This doesn't work in 100% of cases because some apps (generally apps that required an installer in the first place and come with their own uninstaller) leave components in different parts of the system too. A quick Spotlight search usually weeds these out though, if they don't have their own uninstaller. For more information on uninstalling apps, check out this MacRumors guide. :)

3. devman macrumors 65816

devman

That's interesting. My father has a 20" iMac and his wired mighty mouse stopped working in exactly the same way. He rang Apple and they sent him a new wireless mighty mouse to replace it. This was just a few weeks ago.