Quicker way to deleate email on Gmail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gr997s, Feb 8, 2011.

1. gr997s, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

gr997s macrumors member

On the verizon unit in order to deleate an email I have to open the folders then move it to trash. I am sure I am missing the delete button, Please help.Thanks

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

When you are in the Inbox, put your finger on the email you want to delete and swipe to the left. A red delete box will appear then just tap it.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The swipe method mentioned above is great for 1 or 2 e-mails.

If you need to erase more than that, use the 'edit' button at the top of the e-mail list and you can select multiple messages and erase them all at once.

4. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I believe with iOS 4.1 they changed the swipe method to "Archive" instead of actually delete.

5. gr997s, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

gr997s thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Great help. When I do both of the actions I get a red button that says archive, not delete. Archive use to have a different purpose than delete. I am I reading too much into the name of the red button...Is archiving or deleting?

6. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

You can set up your gmail as a exchange account. It will then delete the email instead of archiving it.

Set up gmail as exchange go throughout he process and use m.google.com as the server. Leave the domain blank. This will also enable push for you.

You can use the google app also. This can be handy when you want to mark many messages as read.

7. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

just go to settings > Mail, Contacs, Calenders > Under accounts click Gmail> Then turn off Archive Messages.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Neither of those is the whole story. (They're both somewhat true, but there's more to it than that.) It depends on how you set it up. I've always used IMAP and I used to have 'Archice' and now I have it as 'Delete.' It's just a configuration change:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/tip-archive-mail-on-your-iphone.html

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Gmail exchange or IMAP doesn't matter. Delete on iPhone = archive on gmail servers. Don't believe me? Check your gmail account online and see if the deleted emails from the iPhone is in the trash folder?

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Correct. If you set up your gmail.com account on the phone thru the "Gmail" icon in the mail setup preferences, swiping will put the email in the Archive folder. If you (manually) set up as an Exchange account, the swipe action will be "Delete."

Each set up has it's advantages and disadvantages. You can read more about them on google.com.

11. gr997s thread starter macrumors member

That did it. Red box now says delete and in the main gmail account message is in the trash...Thanks

12. jenzjen macrumors 68000

This should be clarified, as there's subtleties here that people, myself including, did not appreciate. I went through both methods today - exchange and IMAP icon - to make sure it is working the way I want it to.

There 1 universal truth, if you MUST have real deleting (I did), then you're only option is IMAP *and* make sure as a poster above suggested, go into the account settings after setup and turn off archive.

The exchange option treats deletes as archives, and there is no way as of yet to change this setting.

The IMAP option, by default, also treats deletes as archives but has a toggle to turn archiving off.

13. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

nope

i am set up as an exchange, and swipe most certainly archives.

easiest way to delete is to fire up safari and log in to gmail. then you can use checkboxes and actually delete.

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Google would prefer you archive than delete your email :cool: