Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Helljumper

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
So I want to upload a video online, but I need to remove the first and last 10 seconds of it in order to avoid any possible copyright infringement issues.

The only way I've been able to successfully do this is by starting a New Project on iMovie, importing the video that I wanted as an Event, manually deleting the parts that I need to get rid of, apply the new trimmed video into the Project, and then exporting the Project as a Movie file.

The problem is that the exporting process of iMovie seems unnecessarily long. The clip is now about 20 minutes long, yet it's going to take 3 hours just to publish the new video file with the beginning and end trimmed off. I get what it's doing; it seems like iMovie is pretty much recreating the entire video from scratch with all possible edits included. My issue is that since I didn't really make any edits, it shouldn't have to recreate the entire video from scratch, yet it is.

This process seems very inefficient and I have another couple of videos I need to apply this same process to. I was wondering if there is an easier/faster/free method of doing this that doesn't take an unnecessarily long amount of time.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
You can trip the clip in either QuickTime X or QuickTime 7 Pro. There's no way to get around the exporting process though. Try the trim function in QuickTime X then select the share feature to YouTube and see how that works out.

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Try avidemux (it's free)
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

it's free and has worked great for me -if you just leave the audio and video setting on 'copy' and crop only (drag slider to start position and press the "A"then go to end and press "B" icon) it'll do it very quickly indeed as there's no resampling/decoding.
Excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.