quickest and cheapest NAS?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by j2048b, Jun 12, 2009.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I was wondering what anyone would recommend for a NAS that was :

1.QUICK!!
    2. Cheap (amount paid for)
    3. Can hold the most space? (example, 1-4 terrabytes?)

I keep looking but do not want to spend a crap load of money, and if i am going to spend a decent bit, i dont want something that only holds 500gigs, or something small!

Thanks

J

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Must it be ready made, or are you willing to DIY one?

Quick and cheap have a habit of butting heads... ;) :p

3. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

DIY would not be half bad!!

I saw a posting a while back here somewhere where a guy used a G5 case and built a huge NAS but i cannot find the link any more!!

that was awesome looking and very packed full of drives!!

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool:

Does it have to be available to multiple computers, or only one?

If the latter, check out ATA over Ethernet. It's faster, and uses the same hardware. It just doesn't need to get as deep in the TCP/IP protocol layers.

Another computer, load Linux, and get it set up. Port teaming makes it even faster. :)

A search should come up with a few How To Guides. ;)

5. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

sounds great!!

i am actually looking for a network NAS so my wife and i can access the same drives to save pics, and stream movies/music and photos to the ps3 and throughout the house!1

i have 3-4 terra byte harddrives sitting un used as of now, and want to put it all into a sort of accessable NAS over the aebs through cat5 or 6 cable networked!

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Ah. OK, so you do need access for multiple systems. Then you do want NAS, not AoE (direct attached storage, and available for a single system).

Here's a really good place to start for DIY NAS. Check out the the left side of the page, as it will have How To's, Guides, Hardware,... Everything you could want. :D

If you do decide you want to go with a ready made solution, this might help as well. The Dual Gigabit Ethernet devices will offer the greatest possible throughput, but cost may be an issue.

It's a lot of information, but worth the time to read it all. ;)

Good Luck. :)

7. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks!!

i will take a look at everything in a bit!!

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Take a look in the thread in the Apple TV and home theater forum about storing itunes libraries....lots f NAS suggestions in there. Personally, I have a Thecus N2100 (had it a couple years now) that I share between the Macs and PCs in the house....also serves as an iTunes server to my Roku music player (so the computers don't need to be on 24/7 to get music to my home theater setup whenever I want)

9. GadgetAddicted macrumors regular

I would highly recommend the DLink DNS-323. It is VERY hackable and you can put on so much stuff! It's great! I currently have 3tb total in it.

10. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I went the DIY route and you can find most of my postings on the subject buy searching NAS and my username.

Check out the thread in the ATv forum about "Storing our out of control iTunes Library"