Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badvocate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
As a lawyer, I frequently need to excerpt something from a PDF, or from whatever is on my screen, blow it up, and put it into presentations/briefs to drive home a point visually. On Windows, the snipping tool is wonderful for this, and I understand Macs have the same functionality.

On the iPad, the closest I've come is to zoom in on my screen and take a screen shot. There are obviously limitations:

1. Aspect ratio is fixed;
2. Cumbersome to manipulate photos, or to transfer them into other apps/insert them into other docs while on the move.

I find that it's not easy to manipulate the screenshot once I've taken it. In particular, I would like the ability crop them quickly by dragging a selection box, to draw/highlight (neatly) on the resulting image, to batch process the resulting images into PDFs, etc. Note Taker HD sort of manages to do these things, but the process is cumbersome and slow, or perhaps I just haven't figured out an efficient workflow.

In an almost ideal world, I would be able to view a PDF, (or even a Word doc/photo, but I don't expect magic!), and just drag my finger/stylus to excerpt a piece of it (at whatever aspect ratio I choose), and it would instantly export that excerpt to a photo album, or make a new file within the app. PDF Expert and iAnnonate don't do that, do they? I couldn't figure out a way, anyway.

There is an app that very nearly does this, which is TrialPad. I love how it works, but the blowout function is just for live demonstrations, and as far as I know, there's no way to actually save the zoomed-in image. I'd have to take a screenshot of the blowout, and then cut out the excess, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for workflow, or for apps that do this? Perhaps a photo-editing app? I have all the major productivity ones already: GoodReader, PDF Expert, QuickOffice, Docs to Go, Note Taker HD, and Write PDF.

Thank you in advance!

Signed,
Lawyer who wants to stay out of the office as much as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.