Quickest RAM install EVER!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maestro55, Jan 31, 2008.

1. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

So I recently purchased a RAM upgrade for my MacBook (iRAM was the brand, cheap cheap cheap, but it works just fine so far). Got home from work tonight and installed it in my MacBook in under 5 minutes (including opening the box and such). Some laptops are just as easy, but I have dealt with some very tough portables in the past. People used to say that you couldn't upgrade your Mac yourself (obviously people who are ignorant to what they are doing). I now have 4GB of RAM installed in my MacBook and very happy. I know everyone already knows it is so easy, but I thought I would come and share.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i upgraded 2 MacBooks from 1GB to 2GB in about 5 minutes as well. It's dead easy.

Hope you enjoy the new RAM :)

3. omore1234 macrumors member

Do you mind me asking, how much and where you got it from? I am terrible with understanding the aspects of a computer but I do know that I will need 3 GB for running AutoCAD.

4. maestro55 thread starter macrumors 68030

maestro55

newegg.com it was on sale at the time for like $48 a stick. Total was a little over $100 with shipping.

5. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Well i did it in 3! ner ner ner ner ner! :p

Yeah, so easy to do, i dont know why anyone would pay Apples prices for ram!

6. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

As soon as I find some for sale here I will be installing some - already popped them out to have a look and yes it is very easy.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i hope the new MacBook Pros allow you to upgrade the HDD and RAM as easily as a MacBook. after all it is a PRO machine!

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

Well, the RAM is just as easy to upgrade as the MacBook, remove the battery and remove 3 screws, just like the MacBook.

The hard drive is significantly harder than the MacBook, and I do wish they had adopted a similar design as the MacBook.

9. lazydesi macrumors 6502

today i replaced my ram from 2GB to 3Gb in about 8 minutes

10. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

if you're going to spend $100 anyway you may as well get it from OWC (macsales.com), their ram seems to be the most reliable lots of people from here get their ram from there (including me!)

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Upgrading RAM in MBP is easy. HD takes 15 minutes to 2 hours depends on experience level. Yes I do wish MBP HD can be changed more easily, so you should write to apple.com/feedback

12. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

You know whats even easier? Those nice TiBooks with the removable keyboards. Just pull back on two keyboard clips and the ram is exposed. It just pops out and pops back in. You can change it out in 30 seconds.

13. rsm5068 macrumors regular

No you wont, unless you are trying to do 3D stuff (which is why they make Solid Works and Inventor). I would still get the RAM but if you ever have a 2D file that makes ACAD slow (other than the standard stuff Autodesk refuses to fix) send it to me so I can experience it myself.

14. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

The RAM is an easy upgrade but not the hard drive.

15. omore1234 macrumors member

Maybe 2GB will be ok, but for some reason my teacher says we need to upgrade to 3 GB. Again, im not a computer spec person at all. SO lets say if these new macbook Pro's come out on Tuesday (1st, I will buy one, 15") Should I upgrade to 4 GB?

But we also do not know if the new pro will be able to be upgraded with RAM right?

16. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

As far as i remember, RAM always was and is user replaceable.

17. letswastetime macrumors regular

Whatever you do, dont buy ram from apple. you can get the same ram from a third party like newegg for hundreds of dollars cheaper.

18. omore1234 macrumors member

good, sorry, i'm trying to learn everything I can b/c I get the new pro!

19. walnuts macrumors 6502

I just upgraded my ram in my macbook last night- I HATED those three screws. I had the right size screwdriver and still nearly striped two out of three!

20. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Goh reading through all those posts I thought I was alone, took me bloody ages! Sweaty hands + crap screwdriver + tiny screws = one very annoyed upgrader.
    Ah well, it's in now ;)

21. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea it's easy!! ... Looks like a HD upgrade is easy too.