Quickest small website to download ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by max2, Mar 24, 2018.

1. max2 macrumors 68030

I want to try to see if my website downloader works.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

I was going to suggest example.com:
    Code:
    curl -s http://www.example.com | wc
          50     120    1270

curl -s http://www.google.com | wc
           5     313   12292
    Then I realized the example.com page links to iana.org, so if your "website downloader" follows HTML links, that could get ugly.

One simple solution is to make your own test "website". Put a couple HTML pages on an Amazon S3 bucket, with as many or as few links in them as you want. Then point the downloader at the root URL of your bucket resources (make them public, i.e. no permission required; see Mac App Store for S3 utility apps). You could also enable some of the S3 logging and reporting, so you can see all the GET requests, or counts of them. Given the low cost of S3, this might cost a few pennies. Except I'm not sure they'll bill you for amounts that low, so it could well be a cost of $0.00.

3. Zenithal macrumors 604

Use HTTrack and visit a site for a local business.

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Or make your own site on your local computer, start a server, and then point your downloader to it.

If you haven't built a Ruby On Rails app yet, you could do it in less time than it took for the above replies to get posted to this thread.

5. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I think you're being a _touch_ optimistic :D

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Hell, if I could do it, anyone can. :p #GrowthMindset #LearnThruStruggle #BetterEveryDay #ItsOkayToSayIDontKnowAsLongAsTheNextWordIsYET