Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hopes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
I’m sure this is a completely newbie question but this will be my first Apple Watch ever. The Gold Stainless Steel watches are nowhere to be found. In all of your experiences does a watch come faster if:

A) you order it online directly from Apple
B) order it from the store to be picked up in the store

Or

C) sign up with istocknow and hope it comes in stock??

Right now Apple is saying it’s out all the way out to Dec 4th!

Thank you so much for your insight.

Hopes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Order online and sign up for istocknow. You can always cancel the online order.
Do they not charge your card immediately for the online order considering it’s backed up so far?

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Also, it seems that there’s always a chance you could find one at your local Apple store by walking in. They only show “in stock” online if they have a certain number of units— supposedly they can have a few in stock even when they don’t list the store as having any available online. (which is what would trigger an istocknow notification). I haven’t tried walking in yet since I’m not ready to buy. But really a bit surprised at how scarce the stainless steel models seem to be...

Reactions: Hopes

Cowboy1629

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Indiana
Order online and sign up for istocknow. You can always cancel the online order.

This is what I did for the SBSS. Ended up the Apple store closest to me (3.5 hrs round trip) only showed in stock once from Friday to Monday since first of October when I started tracking with instocknow and I couldn’t make the trip that weekend. My Watch is currently sitting at local UPS hub with delivery scheduled for tomorrow.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
But really a bit surprised at how scarce the stainless steel models seem to be...

No kidding. I picked up mine (44mm Stainless Steel) about a month ago, and they were showing up regularly in the DC Apple Stores, but nobody has them now.

Hopes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
No, Apple only charges when the device is actually ‘Preparing for shipment’.
Thank you! I had no idea. I’ve always purchased my Apple products in the store.
[doublepost=1541346081][/doublepost]
Also, it seems that there’s always a chance you could find one at your local Apple store by walking in. They only show “in stock” online if they have a certain number of units— supposedly they can have a few in stock even when they don’t list the store as having any available online. (which is what would trigger an istocknow notification). I haven’t tried walking in yet since I’m not ready to buy. But really a bit surprised at how scarce the stainless steel models seem to be...
I’ve been in the Apple stores close to
Me and they all have none. They all said they were 2-3 weeks out apparently. Big bummer.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I’ve been in the Apple stores close to
Me and they all have none. They all said they were 2-3 weeks out apparently. Big bummer.
Oi. Sounds like another fun season tracking one down. I think I got my s2 SBSS from Best Buy in December 2016... but I wasn’t interested before December so I have no idea if they had been easier to find back then in October / November.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014

I’ve been told the number is 5. If they have 5 or less, it will show as “unavailable for pickup” of the website/app.

Hopes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Oi. Sounds like another fun season tracking one down. I think I got my s2 SBSS from Best Buy in December 2016... but I wasn’t interested before December so I have no idea if they had been easier to find back then in October / November.
It sure doesn’t make this process fun. When you decide you finally want to get one you just want to be able to walk in and get one. Now I don’t know if I should risk it and wait until Dec or try and beat the holiday rush!
[doublepost=1541356416][/doublepost]
I’ve been told the number is 5. If they have 5 or less, it will show as “unavailable for pickup” of the website/app.
I’ve tried calling the stores themselves to check on inventory but I always get rerouted to the main call center where they only see what is shown on the website as available.

Cowboy1629

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Indiana
Keep an eye on istocknow because it looks like several people on this site (me included) have stated their watch they ordered weeks ago are being delivered tomorrow. Maybe there is a large shipment hitting the stores too.

Hopes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Keep an eye on istocknow because it looks like several people on this site (me included) have stated their watch they ordered weeks ago are being delivered tomorrow. Maybe there is a large shipment hitting the stores too.
Ohhhh. Wouldn’t that be nice! Although the website says it’s pushed out until Dec 4 for availability in the stores.

Disneymom2003

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2015
I live a ways for my nearest Apple store. If I order for store pick up how long will they hold it? If it comes in on Monday I can't go till the weekend

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I live a ways for my nearest Apple store. If I order for store pick up how long will they hold it? If it comes in on Monday I can't go till the weekend

They can hold it for 24 hours from when I requested this Favor in the past. However, maybe other Apple stores might make exceptions depending on the store manager.

Reactions: JulesK

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002

It’s been at least a day past when it’s available for pick up for me. If I’ve needed more time, I’ve just called the store to ask them to hold it. I think they Grove you a few days. You’ve will have paid for it by then.

Hopes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
That's correct. 0-5 and it says theres nothing left. 5+ it says it's there for pickup.
Okay so what is the trick to get someone on the phone at the actual store? I’ve called on and of or weeks to see if they have any in stock (under the 5+ that the websites will record) but every time I call I get rerouted to a call center who only checks the computer which is what we see when looking on the website! ‍

CreepyAF

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
Behind you
Okay so what is the trick to get someone on the phone at the actual store? I’ve called on and of or weeks to see if they have any in stock (under the 5+ that the websites will record) but every time I call I get rerouted to a call center who only checks the computer which is what we see when looking on the website! ‍

I had the same problem, as far as I know it’s not possible to get through directly. I used istocknow and set up an alert which worked for me. Good luck!

Hopes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
I had the same problem, as far as I know it’s not possible to get through directly. I used istocknow and set up an alert which worked for me. Good luck!
Thanks! I’ve done that. And haven’t had notifications for weeks! Super unlucky I guess!

puke

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
Check istocknow constantly. When a store near you have it, instantly go into the Apple Store-app and select pickup from store (and it auto shows if they have in store). Order and run to your store. No need to speak to anyone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

@Hopes

Actually you can, when you call the Apple Store, when you received a prompt, Say ‘Manager’, which then will connect you directly to a store associate. [Keep in mind, Apple does not verify _how_ much stock they have with an Apple Watch model, but they will verify they do have stock in the store.

Hopes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
@Hopes

Actually you can, when you call the Apple Store, when you received a prompt, Say ‘Manager’, which then will connect you directly to a store associate. [Keep in mind, Apple does not verify _how_ much stock they have with an Apple Watch model, but they will verify they do have stock in the store.
This is good to know. I was obviously not using the correct key words in the automated prompt. I just said Apple Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.