Quickipedia for Mac - Minimalistic Wikipedia Reader

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arvindhsukumar, Aug 24, 2012.

1. arvindhsukumar macrumors newbie

Quickipedia is a quick, unobtrusive Wikipedia client for Mac, with a focus on lightning-fast access, and minimal use of your screen's real-estate.

Whether you want a quick peek at an article, or have fun reading random articles, Quickipedia lets you do it - fast!

Features:

- Custom formatting of articles, to save screen space, while still optimizing readability. Quickipedia will be especially useful if you are on a Macbook

- Integration with read-it-later services Instapaper and Pocket (with more sharing options coming in future updates).

- Multiple language support: read more than 8 million articles across 5 of the largest language editions of Wikipedia (English, French, Spanish, German and Italian).

- Offline access: Your most recent articles, and all of your Favorites, are available for you to read even when offline.

- Integration with OS X: Search using the app, by right-clicking text from almost anywhere.

- Random Articles!

Quickipedia is now available for download from the Mac App Store, for an introductory price of $1.99.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I may be missing something, but what is the benefit of launching a dedicated app to read Wikipedia, when I already have Safari open, with a bookmark to it that doesn't require launching another app? I can already right-click on any word or phrase on any web page and search for that in Wikipedia. If I want to read an article later, I can easily add it to my bookmarks or reading list. If I want the window to take up less screen space, I can resize the Safari window.

I just don't get it, but I wish you luck!

3. arvindhsukumar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.. Everybody has their own preferences I guess. I use a 11" MBA, and prefer using Safari in full-screen - with a lot of tabs open. Finding the tab I want has always been a frustrating experience. That's where a dedicated app could be of more use.

I made this app first to satisfy my own need - hopefully others will find it useful as well.

Cheers,
    Arvindh

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

It looks good to me, very nice. Can you offer a review code?

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

This app just went free.