Quicklook doesn't work anymore

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fromalk, Nov 18, 2009.

1. fromalk macrumors member

Hello everyone,

After updating to snow leopard my quicklook doesn't work anymore. Whenever i select a file and hit space the quicklook ui pops up but it doesn't actually show any content so I'm just stuck with a grey box.

I've been looking on the web the last week but can't find anything. Any ideas here maybe?

Thanks

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

try updating your software. if that doesnt fix it, its not a big deal, just the next time u go to that apple store, ask them about that

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you are trying to look at some of the movies, Apple dropped some of the codecs from Snow Leopard ... so the only way to view them might be QT7.

4. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

the problem isn't only with movies. It wont preview any kind of file anymore (text, picture, ....) . For me its kind of a big deal because I get a ton of e-mails per day with attachments. 50% of the time I don't need to save the attachment and I just take a quick look at it :D

I think I'll just pas by the apple store today, to bad I wanted to fix it myself

thanks a lot!

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

6. danledzep macrumors newbie

Did this problem ever get resolved, because my macs now doing the same thing. It started since i replaced the hard drive, so i don't know how this has affected it.
    Quicklook works for audio files, and even plays the audio from videos, but doesn't display anything apart from the surrounding grey box.

7. onemanrock macrumors newbie

AMAZING. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I downloaded and installed the 10.6.2 combo update http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959 and I have Quicklook back. :D

8. Gdp macrumors newbie

This work perfect! Thanks onemanrock!

9. skypark macrumors member

quicklook

I just tested mine again, Text doc. , photos, music, pdf files. all open for me. I am runnimg SL 10.6.2:)

10. BMWTwisty macrumors newbie

I had the same problem and can vouch for the fact that re-installing the 10.6.2 update fixed QuickLook.

11. neon.electro macrumors newbie

Solution posted above fixed my problem as well!

Hi,

Long story short, I had an issue where I had to restore a Time Machine backup to an external drive in order to get files from a corrupted internal drive; the Quick Look issue started there, and it continued once I restored the Time Machine backup to my internal drive.

Grabbing the Combo update fixed it. :)

12. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

The problem started when I had my hard drive upgraded indeed!

However my system was 100% up to date. The only solution was a complete clean install. Quicklook works fine again now ;)