Quicklook doesn't work anymore

fromalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
hasselt : Belgium : Europe
Hello everyone,

After updating to snow leopard my quicklook doesn't work anymore. Whenever i select a file and hit space the quicklook ui pops up but it doesn't actually show any content so I'm just stuck with a grey box.

I've been looking on the web the last week but can't find anything. Any ideas here maybe?

Thanks

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
try updating your software. if that doesnt fix it, its not a big deal, just the next time u go to that apple store, ask them about that

Comment

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you are trying to look at some of the movies, Apple dropped some of the codecs from Snow Leopard ... so the only way to view them might be QT7.

Comment

fromalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
the problem isn't only with movies. It wont preview any kind of file anymore (text, picture, ....) . For me its kind of a big deal because I get a ton of e-mails per day with attachments. 50% of the time I don't need to save the attachment and I just take a quick look at it :D

I think I'll just pas by the apple store today, to bad I wanted to fix it myself

thanks a lot!

Comment

danledzep

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
Did this problem ever get resolved, because my macs now doing the same thing. It started since i replaced the hard drive, so i don't know how this has affected it.
Quicklook works for audio files, and even plays the audio from videos, but doesn't display anything apart from the surrounding grey box.

Comment

onemanrock

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
Did this problem ever get resolved, because my macs now doing the same thing. It started since i replaced the hard drive, so i don't know how this has affected it.
Quicklook works for audio files, and even plays the audio from videos, but doesn't display anything apart from the surrounding grey box.

AMAZING. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I downloaded and installed the 10.6.2 combo update http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959 and I have Quicklook back. :D

Comment

neon.electro

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
Solution posted above fixed my problem as well!

Hi,

Long story short, I had an issue where I had to restore a Time Machine backup to an external drive in order to get files from a corrupted internal drive; the Quick Look issue started there, and it continued once I restored the Time Machine backup to my internal drive.

Grabbing the Combo update fixed it. :)

Comment

fromalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
The problem started when I had my hard drive upgraded indeed!

However my system was 100% up to date. The only solution was a complete clean install. Quicklook works fine again now ;)

Comment