Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Since updating to Mojave I can no longer hit spacebar to quicklook an image in Photos. Now I have to double click. Is this correct or is there a setting somewhere?

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
It doesn't work for me, though I didn't know it was there previously; would be useful, though.

iMunkee

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2018
Having the same problem here too! - any ideas on a fix? - just get the stupid sound effect "bonk" every time I try Quicklook in Photos App - Quicklook works fine in the finder though!

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
The command to open a picture in Photos has changed in Mojave. The Return key does the job now. This is a very annoying change - it's hard to press the Return key with the left hand when the right hand is on the mouse!

Reactions: yangm

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
The command to open a picture in Photos has changed in Mojave. The Return key does the job now. This is a very annoying change - it's hard to press the Return key with the left hand when the right hand is on the mouse!

Wow completely inconsistent with the rest of OS quicklook functionality, but thanks! Glad it is still there at least!

iMunkee

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2018

Thanks Nigel, how amazingly bizarre! Why would they take a shortcut that is system-wide and alter it in their own software!! Just doesn’t feel natural to do it this way - it’s only when something like this happens that you realise just how many times a day you hit the spacebar to QuickLook! I was using a pc recently and couldn’t believe how people got any work done without QuickLook
[doublepost=1539769710][/doublepost]
Thanks Nigel, how amazingly bizarre! Why would they take a shortcut that is system-wide and alter it in their own software!! Just doesn’t feel natural to do it this way - it’s only when something like this happens that you realise just how many times a day you hit the spacebar to QuickLook! I was using a pc recently and couldn’t believe how people got any work done without QuickLook
I’ve posted in the Photos App suggestions page on Apple support - will be interesting to see if it ever gets fixed

lukejr

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
Oh wow, that's annoying - I wonder why it wasn't working. The spacebar makes way more sense, as it's near the touchpad - the travel distance from the trackpad to the Return key is big compared to the spacebar.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
The Space bar has always had GUI consistency issues between Photos and QuickTime Player. The Space bar now starts/stops videos in Photos, like it does in QuickTime Player, but breaks how it used to work in Photos. Apple giveth and Apple taketh away:cool:

GetRealBro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.