Quickly taking out an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yumunum, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Something that annoys me about the iPad... Is the fact that it doesn't seem practical. In a certain sense, it doesn't seem much more portable than a laptop.

I want to be able to have my iPad on me all the time, but not let it hinder me (ex: take up one of my hands the entire day as I carry it through Wal-Mart)

I love the idea of a big screen, all the awesomeness, everywhere, while barely using my phone. But it doesn't seem possible. I used to carry a small iPad bag over my shoulder like a backpack (it ended up looking like a tiny tiny backpack, lol) but I had to unzip it everytime I wanted to pull the iPad out.

Anyone else annoyed by this aspect of tablets? Anyone have solutions? (special accessories or somethin')

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

If the rumors are correct, that they're testing 7.85" displays … it could fit easily in a coat pocket.

3. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

That would be interesting. I guess I could buy a crud Samsung tab :p

4. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

5. aleni macrumors 68020

yep, it annoys me.

hope apple will come out with smaller iPad. 7.85" seems good.

6. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Or maybe the Galaxy Note is a good option... Idk. I hate the way our devices are nowadays.

Phones are too small
    Phones are the right size
    Tablets are too big
    Tablets are the right size
    Laptops are lame to carry
    Tablets are good to carry
    Tablets are bad to carry
    Tablets can't do everything
    Laptops can do everything
    Phones are in the middle
    Phones are the same as tablets
    Tablets are the same as phones

And they all cost tons of $$$.

It's like a crazy circle of device needs, and none of the 3 devices fit into their place. Okay, sorry about the rant

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

While I do use a bag to carry around my iPad (specifically a small netbook shoulder bag), as far as I'm concerned it is still far more portable than a laptop. Simply because I can pull it out anywhere. I don't need a flat surface to rest it on.

A smaller iPad is unlikely IMO. iOS doesn't scale elements based on screen size. So you'd just end up with shrunken text and buttons if you tried running existing iPad apps on a smaller screen.

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

If you own a smart phone, you don't need to carry an iPad or any tablet into a grocery store, especially if you own an iPhone. Essentially they do the same exact things.

Tablets are for:

-Home
    -Visiting friends houses
    -The train(commuting from work)(don't get mugged)
    -Work
    -Long trips
    -the coffee shop
    -library
    -class

Don't get me wrong though, I have no problem with people wanting to use their iPads in unconventional places like the grocery store, but these uses don't warrant any reason to decrease the screen size. These uses are again, unconventional and not ideal uses for any tablet in my opinion because we have smart phones.

To say a smart phone is too small is rediculous. We have been using smart phones out and about since the beginning of time. No one complained about screen size then. Now that we have tablets, you want cry about screen size?!

9. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Not annoyed at all. If you want the bigger screen, then you just have to sacrifice portability. There's no other way around it until flexible displays are commercially available.

Frankly, when I'm out and about and need something in a pinch, I just whip out my iPhone. Anything more than that and it's the iPad I use. I find the 7" tablets to be too much of a comprise in usability.

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

Just like the advent of matches made us less likely to trying to start fires with a piece of flint, it's hard to revert to prior tech. I agree that it's kind of pointless to expect a tablet to replicate smartphone convenience/accessibility but at the same time I really dislike using my iPhone for web browsing. Sure, you can do it if you have to but it's not a great experience,

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

What about summertime?

Yumunum, you are correct. The iPad isn't any more portable than the 11' Air in the sense that you do have to carry it around in a bag, but that's true for anything larger than a phone. A 7" iPad won't change the fact that if it won't fit in a pants pocket you are going to have to carry it in either your hand or a bag. If you want to bigger screen you just have to accept and deal with that fact.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I'm sure others do but I find my iPad much more portable than my laptops.

Sounds like you want something more like a lanyard. And that you need to realize that you're always making compromises with any option. Such a carrying solution won't offer much protection, for example.

13. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

never will happen

----------

that is junk

:apple:

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's hardly "junk" - it's a $200 tablet. If it was a $500 tablet I'd call it junk, but it's priced fairly for what you get (it wasn't that many years ago that I pad about $150 for a "portable" DVD player - which ended up being extremely finicky and lost battery power in about 2 hours. THAT was junk.)

15. Carouser macrumors 65816

Here's a solution, but it's not a special accessory: Reconsider how necessary it is for you to haul the iPad around all the time. I'm not being sarcastic - if it's too much trouble to take the iPad out of a backpack, but you can't do it on an iPhone or iPod, then the thing you're using the iPad to do is probably not worth doing.

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Not as crud as you'd think. The 8.9 is actually quite more manageable than the iPad. And the upcoming 7" one looks very sweet.

17. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

One interesting thing I figured out recently kinda by accident is that if you wear hoodie sweatshirts the iPad fits in the pocket. At least it fits in mine. Since I am almost always wearing one when I am not working I can bring my iPad with me almost anywhere. I especially like to now bring it with me to use the GPS and track my morning walks.

18. monkeylui macrumors 6502

No. It's a great little tablet. I've been using it more than my iPad lately.

19. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

All of those are extremely laggy. Go to a Best Buy to see for yourself (if you haven't already) - even the 7" with Samsung's amazing processor gives a sucky experience. If I had to buy an Android tablet I'm not sure if I'd even bother. Android phones can be pretty nice, but I don't know what to say about the tablets.

20. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

[​IMG]

This is the bag I own. Outside of being rather nice, it has a pocket in the front, which you can also see in the gallery on this eBay page:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MESSENGER...ssories_UK&hash=item43aa7307d9#ht_4906wt_1396

Here it is:

[​IMG]

It's just in front of the zip pocket.
    There are probably more bags out there like this, but the little slit on the front makes grabbing my iPad incredibly easy. I like bags though, your mileage may vary. Things like this could be your solution.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I dont have to go to the store. I own one. (8.9) It is not laggy. It works great. I have no idea what the tablets on display have loaded on them, but I like to keep mine clean. I don't load a lot of crap. I use it mostly for browsing, email, and some apps. The 8.9 is very snappy and responsive, with a beautiful screen and is thinner/lighter than my iPad. I now use the 8.9 exclusively while browsing in bed because of the size/weight difference.

And I haven't loaded the custom rom and kernel to OC it to 1.5GHz yet... :D

22. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Huh... Maybe we have different levels of lag we can accept. Every Android tablet I've ever used was not nearly as snappy as an iPad. It's hard to imagine that ALL of them were bloated to death. I never experienced that with Android phones (in-store being slower than at-home) so I really don't see how it'd be that different with tablets. Maybe I'm too picky, idk.

23. jdburgett macrumors newbie

iPad clothes

I agree that the iPad is just a little too large to lug around with you all the time. I find it very fun to use, except when I want to do some serious typing. I find that I wish for a larger screen size when I switch back to my 15" MacBook Pro. Can we say 15" iPad? THAT would be awesome. Actually, I find myself wishing that my MacBook Pro had a touch screen as capable as the iPad, and had the same level of battery life and processing power. I prefer the angle of a laptop on my lap than the iPad... Anyway!

My answer to your carrying the iPad problem is Scottevest.com. I own 5 or more of their products, and they are pretty well made. I recommend the Fleece 5.0, or the Essential Travel Jacket. I have both of those, and they work very well and have an inside pocket large enough for an iPad. Check out the website frequently, as they have a different product 20% off each day. For almost the same cost of some higher end iPad cases, you can get a pretty nice and functional toy-friendly jacket.

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

Do you wear professional clothing in general? If so, this may help.

25. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I must say, those jackets look pretty tempting...