Quickoffice vs DocsToGo??

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by hsk, Jul 25, 2009.

1. hsk macrumors regular

I am looking at both (and ratings in the App Store don't seem to be very valuable, IMO) and trying to determine if DTG is really sufficently lacking as some people say. QO seems to have the upper hand on capabilities right now, but you still have to off-load your attachments to their servers. That seems like a pain and waste of time to me. DTG is still missing Excel editing - which is supposedly on the way - but I really like the way they handle Exchange attachments right on the iPhone.

Anyone here have experience with both? Or has the latest DTG w/Exchange?

2. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

I have both. From a pure app basis I prefer DTG. It's much better for Word docs, better presentation of your document and, well, just better. However, QuickOffice has Excel. That's why I have both.

I like DTG's desktop client as well. Keep multiple folders on your PC in sync with your iPhone, very easily.

Of the two I prefer DTG but use QO for some aspects of what it provides. Hope that helps.

3. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I’ve chosen QuickOffice for the ability to load files from other computers without the need of installing any software to make the transerring (DTG offers file synch but you have to install its own PC/Mac software…): you only need to share the same wi-fi connection.

QuickOffice have the search words button. Documents to Go doesn't.

4. hsk thread starter macrumors regular

Very helpful, exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I can wait out the Excel support as I am never too far from the desktop. But I am finding that the iPhone's screen size makes it easier for me to do more work on the phone vs my previous smartphones and thus I am more careful in considering a doc editing program.

BTW - DTG does support .docx, right? They say they do, but some of the latest reviews on the App Store say it does not. And we are Office 2007.

5. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

DocsToGo have more functionality and usability for editing then QuickOffice.

6. hsk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. (You are up late - or early?)

7. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I have both... I'm still debating between QuickOffice + DocsToGo vs ReaddleDocks

8. str1f3 macrumors 68000

It's funny how each of these apps has advantages the other needs. I like Docs to Go over Quickoffice in a lot of ways but is just too crippled. The desktop client is an absurd idea. Why not have iDisk or Dropbox support? Or access it through a webpage like Quickoffice?

I like the way Docs handles viewing and editing files. It's UI is far superior to Quickoffice. It's a shame they didn't put the same effort so far compared to what they did for Android.

Also don't expect future MobileMe support for the Docs To Go $9.99 app. Dataviz is telling users to just buy the standard version.

9. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Any more input concerning these editing programs?

10. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I can post you screenshots.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Can both of these programs be used to then email the edited files you got from your computer? Programs like FileAid can't.

12. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Yes.. with both you can send e-mail attachements.

- If you have a Mac with MobileMe i recommend Quickoffice
    - If you have a PC with Exchange i recommend DocsToGo

13. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

I agree. It's really time DTG get's Excel support. And PowerPoint for that matter.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Are you saying you have to have MobileMe or Exchange?

15. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I appreciate that.

I've read the descriptions but I suppose I need a "translation" lol

what I'm after:
    clean wifi file transfer, any and all kinds of files
    edit word* files
    edit word* files emailed to me
    save edited word* files on iPhone
    email iPhone edited word* files direct from iPhone

*excel for me can wait till the future

Nice to have:
    save as PDF. Then email out from iPhone.

What I've been doing so far is MochaVNC into my work comp and do things that way lol !

16. hsk thread starter macrumors regular

Go recommend - I have bought neither yet as I am really trying to determine if I need this (really have found I don't need to edit from the phone). But I am certainly leaning toward D2G - I have a PC w/Exchange.

17. fredf macrumors 6502

can one edit files?

I am interested in both of these as well.
    Frankly, I've been happy with FileAid: simple to use and downloads quickly.
    The only additional functionality I would like is the ability to save a pdf but most importantly, I would like to be able to edit a Word file on the iPhone.

What would do that for me? My first choice would be Quickoffice but they says nothing about editing in its description.

18. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

One thing I would like to add is the ability to print and to do so without adding some app to the wired computer.

19. villageindian macrumors member

I have QO so I'll take a stab at this even though it might be different for DTG

clean wifi file transfer, any and all kinds of files - meaning you connect the software to the same Wi-Fi network and you can add/remove/modify files
    edit word* files - self-explanatory
    edit word* files emailed to me - in QO, one has to download the same file onto the desktop and transfer it to IP address displayed by QO and then you can edit it; you cannot edit it by downloading onto Mail and then having QO open it within iPhone/iPod Touch.
    save edited word* files on iPhone - when you make changes in QO, it gives you the ability to save documents.
    email iPhone edited word* files direct from iPhone - in QO, you can specify the email IDs from which you send and receive attachments. However, it passes through QO servers. So far, I havent been able to find out if the attachments permanently reside in QO servers through transit or get deleted after sometime.