Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoing

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
I am so unsure what to buy! There are mixed reviews for all of them. i need one that works for school - create doc, times new roman font, double space, centering. Docs to go got the worst reviews, pages doesnt seem very word orientated and quickoffice doesnt seem as popular. Price doesnt matter to me. I just need the best app for making school word reports. simple. create , do doc, email to comp, open and boom. Docx format is in all of them i think (correct me if wrong)

lets debate and help me decide

also posting here because of ipad apps section is very dead :\

Reddkryten

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
I've used all three.

Pages....a world of pointless. Okay, it might be good for some things, like writing documents on your ipad, but if you are like me and import from word or something else, pages will just screw up the formatting. I actually created a document in the desktop version of pages, sent it to my iPad....and the formatting was still screwed up. If it can't even maintain compatibility with itself I don't know what to say.

Docs to go is the best at displaying formatting (although it doesn't separate pages, which is an issue for me, but still not bad) and it has a lot of nice features. A big downside is, there is no folder system in the app, so you can't arrange the documents.

Quick office is my personal favorite though. It displays documents mostly correctly. It does screw up the formatting slightly, not as badly as pages but not as good as docs to go. It does have a folder system.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I've posted many threads on this already, in the App section. Seek and you shall find.

Goldcard

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
St. Paul, MN
I use Office2 Plus. Although it definitely has its issues, for use on the iphone, and for the little amount I do use a doc editing program, it gets the job done. Plus, they have a free version to try out.

forceofnature

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
I have quick office. Not sure what the memory limit is or formatting issues but I can't open a 4 mb file to edit. Otherwise smaller files work fine

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
I think pages is pretty damn good.

Especially if your are mostly creating content rather than importing it. You can export as PDF or word.DOC also.

It also has many templates that can/might come in handy. I often use the app to create invoices on the go and mail them right out.

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I like pages and numbers because I can sync them with iwork.com and I use iwork in my Mac

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I use iWork on my MBP but frankly half the templates I create on the Mac don't translate to iWork "lite" on the iPad properly. Same is true in reverse. Unless you are talking incredibly simple text and seriously junior-league formatting, don't waste your money on the apps.

+1 QuickOffice

abta1

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
I'm in the same bind, docs to go seems to maintain formatting the best and the word/excel editing seems ok. No ppt editing at all though unfortunately. I'm thinking of getting this for the formatting issue.

Can you edit ppts in quick office?

cfs123

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
I think pages is pretty damn good.

Especially if your are mostly creating content rather than importing it. You can export as PDF or word.DOC also.

It also has many templates that can/might come in handy. I often use the app to create invoices on the go and mail them right out.

Have you had trouble maintaining the formatting? Every document I make with it that has a table gets messed up when exporting to word. I always get more or less pages and page breaks where they were not originally. No sure if it is me or not.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Pages can't export to any of the online cloud services (drop box, google docs etc). Thats a deal breaker for me.

Quickoffice is good but seems a little lite on features, but Docs2Go seems to have more features and it just feels better. Thats the one for me.

funkyc

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Pages can't export to any of the online cloud services (drop box, google docs etc). Thats a deal breaker for me.

which office suite DOES connect and offers a good file system at the same time??

agentornge33

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
i use docs2go to edit mostly word docs but you can also edit powerpoint files but with some limitations, and I've never tried excel files. But for what I need it's great for working on the commute to and from work and the file system options such as Dropbox and MobileMe iDisk work flawlessly for opening and saving. Docs2Go, Dropbox/iDisk, and Goodreader make it a suitable laptop replacement for me...and universal app is a plus...

magiclaffs

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Add Docs to Go

I use Docs to Go, although I have Pages on my Ipad. Often I need to have a quick shell (such as in excel) that I can port over to the Ipad and then enter data. Docs to Go is seamless. I haven't figured out how to add color to a cell in the Excel side of DTG yet though. I like being able to edit docs from MS Word in DTG as well. And the price is right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.