Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makavelidon04

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
I'm trying to jailbreak the 3gs, but whenever i try to select the ispw, it says that i have the wrong bundle ?

i downloaded 4.1.3 pwnagetool, i have 4.2.1 iphone 3gs restore software,and i tried searching but no luck on how to fix this.

Last edited:

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
I'm pretty sure QuickPwn is a few years out of date... For 4.2.1 you'll need redsn0w.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
Are you by any chance running PwnageTool on a PowerPC Mac? If so, no dice :/

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
thank you, but this didn't do me any good. i downloaded the same firmware 3 times, this is the one i', trying to use.

:/

Pwnage tool never got a full update for 4.2.1 which is why it does not recognize the IPSW. You have to get the 4.2.1 bundle and drop it into pwnage tool and only then will it recognize the ipsw. You can get the bundle from the DEV team site including instructions on which directory to drop the bundle in. Even after doing this and creating the custom firmware it is not jailbroken. After you restore the phone to the custom IPSW you have to then jailbreak it with Redsn0w.

Last edited:

makavelidon04

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Pwnage tool never got a full update for 4.2.1 which is why it does not recognize the bundle. You have to get the 4.2.1 bundle and drop it into pwnage tool and only then will it recognize the ipsw. You can get the bundle from the DEV team site including instructions on which directory to drop the bundle in. Even after doing this and creating the custom firmware it is not jailbroken. After you restore the phone to the custom IPSW you have to then jailbreak it.

so i dropped the bundle into the resources folder. now its creating an ispw, without the 6.15 baseband though. do i restore my iphone with it? or what?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
so i dropped the bundle into the resources folder. now its creating an ispw, without the 6.15 baseband though. do i restore my iphone with it? or what?

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you have an older baseband and want to preserve it then yes restore to the custom IPSW you are creating. that will update you to 4.2.1 and keep the old baseband. You then just run redsn0w to jailbreak it and if old bootrom will be untethered if new bootrom will be a tethered jailbreak.

makavelidon04

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Okay, I'm a little confused, so please try to bare with me.

I have 4.2.1 on baseband 5.15.04, and its locked. I want to unlock the phone to use it on tmobile, and its a phone with the old bootrom I believe since its not a week 40+ phone.

When I try to use pwnagetool, it doesnt give me an option of upgrading my baseband, like it does on video tutorials?

and this is what I do. I plug in my phone, select my 3gs 4.2.1 software, click no on the contract, and build it. then do i restore my phone to that firmware, then use redsn0w to jailbreak it, and then ultrasn0w to unlock it?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Since you are already on 5.15 baseband, pwnage tool is no good for you. It is only used to update and preserve an existing baseband.

You are using the wrong tool you need to use redsn0w. That will give you the option to upgrade to the ipad baseband which can then be unlocked.

Use this Tutorial: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12944

makavelidon04

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Since you are already on 5.15 baseband, pwnage tool is no good for you. It is only used to update and preserve an existing baseband.

You are using the wrong tool you need to use redsn0w. That will give you the option to upgrade to the ipad baseband which can then be unlocked.

okay, well i feel like an idiot. thank you so much for baring with me thus far

i'm trying to use my restore firmware through redsn0w, but it says "unable to recognize specified firmware"

do i need a bundle for this as well?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
okay, well i feel like an idiot. thank you so much for baring with me thus far

i'm trying to use my restore firmware through redsn0w, but it says "unable to recognize specified firmware"

do i need a bundle for this as well?

Use the totorial I added in the edited response above.

makavelidon04

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
You don't need pwnage then. The only way to unlock it is by installing the iPad baseband. Use redsnow.

Thank you, so now that I'll have a tethered jailbreak, because I guess my phone is a newer model, what if I reboot without plugging my phone into my computer?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
It will hang at the apple logo. You have to plug it into computer and run boot tethered on redsn0w anytime you reboot, or power off.

makavelidon04

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
It will hang at the apple logo. You have to plug it into computer and run boot tethered on redsn0w anytime you reboot, or power off.

currently syncing my apps and contacts :)

THANK YOU so much guys, without you i'd probably be paying for an unlocking service. thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.