QuickReply for Google Voice

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DirtySocks85, Jan 15, 2011.

1. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

So I've been using QuickReply on my iPhones since the 2.x days, and it's been a great piece of software (I never even encountered any of the 4.x bugs that led the dev to stop working on the project, and making it free), but I've spent the past few months migrating all of my SMS usage to my Google Voice number and the official Google Voice app. This of course allows me to get free texting, and I plan on going from the 200 SMS plan to no SMS plan in the next month or so.

So here's my question: Is there a jailbreak app or hack that anyone knows of that would allow me to get QuickReply-like functionality while using the GoogleVoice app instead of the default Messages app?

2. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Yes. Forget the exact name but its like SMS-GV extension or GV-text or something like that. There is also one for phone calls.

Anyway, it integrates Google Voice with biteSMS (quick reply/compose) or the native message app.

3. DirtySocks85, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

DirtySocks85 thread starter macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Thanks - I'll see if I can find it. I don't have biteSMS as of right now, but if I can get a hack like this to work I'd willingly cough up a few bucks for it.

EDIT: Found the GV Extension for SMS. I'm going to try to see if I can get it to play nice with QuickReply so I don't need to pay extra money to purchase biteSMS.

4. ctbear macrumors 6502a

biteSMS provides a trial period...you can always try it out and see if you like it.
    Heck, you can even continue to use it after the trial...you will just have to look at ads :D

5. DirtySocks85 thread starter macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Just some FYI on how it's going so far:

I got both the GV SMS extension installed and purchased. I also installed biteSMS and purchased a license.

So far so good, I've got quick reply setup on biteSMS, and everything is in one nice neat easy to use format. I don't have to use the Google Voice app anymore to read or respond to texts. So I basically have unlimited SMS, that behaves like the default messaging system, with a few extra features (like quick reply). So far, I'm loving this set-up.

6. thespazz macrumors 6502a

:cool::cool::cool:

How easy was it for your friends to make the switch?

7. phatjoe88 macrumors member

I did the same. Now if GV would handle MMS and be able to send Group SMS's I'd be in heaven.

8. DirtySocks85 thread starter macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

It's been pretty easy so far, because about the only people I send texts with are my wife, my parents and a couple of my closest friends. I haven't dropped my text plan altogether because as of right now $5 covers all of the extra texts I get from other people I know, as well as giving me MMS support on the rare case where I use it. I'll be watching for the next couple of months to see if it will be cheaper to just pay for those cases as overage.

9. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Another thing you can download which works really well with all of this is a GV send tab for SBSettings. That way you can easily toggle on and off when you may want to send SMS with your Google Voice account or your standard SMS plan and phone number. :)